Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

clutch install, quick help plz!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 07:28 PM
BillyBobJoe
4th Gear Member

Default clutch install, quick help plz!

hey guys, im here with AmericanMuscle4.6GT trying to install my clutch assembly. I got the clutch on the flywheel but as for the throwout bearing and the clutch fork, im befuzzled.

First pic: this is what I've got here

2nd pic: this little bearing fits inside the bigger bearing on on the big side like shown right?

3rd pic: is this the correct way to install the throwout bearing on the fork?

4th pic: and is this how it is supposed to sit? or is the bearing inside the clutch?

trying to finish as much as possible before sundown so all help is appreciated and needed, thanks a lot in advance!
Old 04-29-2006, 07:38 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Default Missing Pictures?

Sorry didn't see you attachments at first,

1). the little bearing is the pilot bearing, it goes into the end of the crankshaft. In that picture if the crankshaft is the palm of your hand, the bearing goes in just the way you have it oriented.

2), everything else looks correct.

3). Did you use an alignment tool to make sure the friction disc is centered? If not you can do either of two things. Go to your local Kragen/pep-Boys/etc. and pick up the alignment tool. It's about 5 bucks. Or you can take a drill bit that fits the pilot bearing (the one in the end of the crankshaft) and wrap it with electrical tape in the area where the clutch disc sits, so that the clutch disc, just slips over the tape. lay the clutch disk on the flywheel. Insert the alignment tool, then put your pressure plate on top of the friction disc, run all the bolts down finger tight. Then tighten down the bolts in a "star" patern, in three steps (first half way down, then all the way down slightly snugged, then torqued to appropriate value).

Good luck,
Old 04-29-2006, 07:40 PM
BillyBobJoe
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Missing Pictures?

look on the bottom where it says attachment...maybe it didnt work for you. originally when i posted it where were no pics but i fixed it, when i fixed it no one had made a post yet though
Old 04-29-2006, 08:37 PM
BillyBobJoe
4th Gear Member

scrath most of that...i really only need to know where that little bearing goes in pic 2. i think i've got mostly everything else down but input is always welcome
Old 04-29-2006, 09:43 PM
BillyBobJoe
4th Gear Member

ok, now i know its called the pilot bearing right? and it goes inside the crankshaft end right?
Old 04-29-2006, 11:29 PM
ideal_mustangs
4th Gear Member

Correct, that is a pilot bearing. It goes in the end of the crankshaft and the transmission shaft end goes in it.