Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Draining Battery

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 08:37 PM
MidNite27
2nd Gear Member

Default Draining Battery

Just a quick question. In my Mustang the battery keeps dying, its a new battery. I think the problem is the Cassette player inside, the digital clock is always on, keys in the car, out of the car w/e the digital clock is always on. Could this be draining my battery?
Old 05-14-2006, 08:49 PM
Gun Jam

Default RE: Draining Battery

If its just the clock no. it could be an accessory light that is staying on inside the glove box maybe. Or the cd player is using more than just the clock.
How long does it take the battery to die?

Use a multi meter set it to dc current and hook it inline with say the positive batter lead (NOT ACROSS + -) and check current drain with car off.

Measure voltage of batter with car off Then measure voltage with car running it should be more volts say 13.5 to 14.5 volts with the engine running at 1,500+ rpm and near 12 with engine off. If it’s the same voltage with engine on vs off then the alternator is bad.

Gun
Old 05-14-2006, 08:58 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Gun is right on. Take the alternator to a parts place and have it checked. If it is bad, then replace the Voltage Regulartor too. It could also just be a bad VR, so if the alternator checks out, replace the VR. Those VR connection also get crud on them, and stop working properly.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:00 PM
MidNite27
2nd Gear Member

I think the Cassette player may be using more than just the clock, it sounds like its trying to use the radio as well. None the less i know the car has wiring problems. I mean if the keys are in the car i can turn on the heater fan it turns on the starter and my car starts up. And i dont think the car should be able to start up by flipping the heater fan lol.

Anyways i will try to use the meter. It takes about 3 days of the car sitting to die.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:29 PM
usmcdevilmp
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MidNite27

I think the Cassette player may be using more than just the clock, it sounds like its trying to use the radio as well. None the less i know the car has wiring problems. I mean if the keys are in the car i can turn on the heater fan it turns on the starter and my car starts up. And i dont think the car should be able to start up by flipping the heater fan lol.

WTF!?!?!?!?
Old 05-14-2006, 09:40 PM
MidNite27
2nd Gear Member

...the heater fan switch must be attatched to the starter switch, thats wtf. lol its wired wrong.
Old 05-14-2006, 10:00 PM
Gun Jam

Sounds like a fire hazard to me.. If that were my ride I would make a summer project out of it and redo most of the wiring using some type aftermarket wiring harness.

Gun
Old 05-14-2006, 10:13 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Gun Jam

Sounds like a fire hazard to me.. If that were my ride I would make a summer project out of it and redo most of the wiring using some type aftermarket wiring harness.

Gun
I agree.....that is FUBAR wiring.
Old 05-14-2006, 10:23 PM
MidNite27
2nd Gear Member

It has a new wiring harness on it. Something must have got switched up during the install.
Old 05-14-2006, 10:27 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: MidNite27

It has a new wiring harness on it. Something must have got switched up during the install.
most likely. Go back and trace it with the wiring harness instructions.

Quick Reply: Draining Battery