Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Found a Boss 302 Block wondering if I can just drop this in my stang? Casting number question also.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 05:24 PM
slvclw
1st Gear Member

Default Found a Boss 302 Block wondering if I can just drop this in my stang? Casting number question also.

If I do get this boss 302 block can I just drop it in my stang? The machine shop guy said I could use the same crank what do you think?

I have a 70 Grande. Right now I have the 302 on a stand it has a 2 bolt main casting number C90E-6015-C
From what I understand thats a 69 302 if my car was rolled over from 69 to 70 it would be the orginal block?

So when I was at the machine shop I asked the guy about what looked like a 302 block he said it is an orginal 70 boss 302. He has been waiting to redo a few things on it. He said he would be able to sell it after that for 700.00. He also has brand new 200cc heads. Would heads like that be too much for street application? I seen 170cc heads in Jegs I was looking at. For more information on my exhast setup I already have long tube hooker headers that go straight back to my dual turbo exhast.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:39 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Found a Boss 302 Block wondering if I can just drop this in my stang? Casting number question also.

You lucky Dawg! Good price too. Of course it will fit.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:59 PM
slvclw
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Found a Boss 302 Block wondering if I can just drop this in my stang? Casting number question also.

Yeah thats for sure just have to get the money together for the heads and block now. I am going to stop by next week to talk to him about the price. I figure then when I get my car all painted up the silly people who always ask if my Grande is a Boss would not all entirely be wrong. I would say its not a Boss mustang but it does have a Boss engine. Now after that is all taken care of I want to get the Shelby susspension package and a posi rear end only one tire fire right now.

ORIGINAL: Soaring

You lucky Dawg! Good price too. Of course it will fit.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:15 PM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Found a Boss 302 Block wondering if I can just drop this in my stang? Casting number question al

thats awesome. too bad u dont have a originally Boss equipped car to drop it into......oh well.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:00 PM
ttoney
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Found a Boss 302 Block wondering if I can just drop this in my stang? Casting number question al

Just remember, it needs real Boss heads to be a boss. They are Cleveland heads basically. That is what made it a boss. If you are wanting to buy a full Boss motor, make sure the heads come with it. If they are regular 302 heads..... Well, either way it is a Boss block.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:08 PM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

well yeah.....top end, high rpm stuff........but still.....boss block is still a boss block.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:04 AM
slvclw
1st Gear Member

Thats the thing this boss block is a factory replacement 1970 block that has never been used. It does not come with the cleveland heads that I know of. However the heads he is selling me with it are really nice. I am going to take a better look at it next week and doublecheck to see if he has the boss heads. If not the nice 200cc heads will work nicely. I can always look later to get the boss heads.

Now one of the questions I have is the font timing cover diffrent on a boss 302 than a normal 302? If so I need that as well.

ORIGINAL: ttoney

Just remember, it needs real Boss heads to be a boss. They are Cleveland heads basically. That is what made it a boss. If you are wanting to buy a full Boss motor, make sure the heads come with it. If they are regular 302 heads..... Well, either way it is a Boss block.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:14 AM
myshifter
I ♥ Acer

If you plan on building a healthy street motor the 200cc heads may be beneficial, if your building just another 302 those heads will be lacking off idle. Just use a regular 302 block and stash that boss block in the corner of your garage. I wouldnt use it unless you had an original boss car
Old 10-22-2011, 01:38 PM
Neudaddy

so what do you think about a boss 302 in a fox?
Old 10-22-2011, 02:28 PM
MustangFTW

Dude this thread is from 2006, post fox body stuff in fox body section.

Quick Reply: Found a Boss 302 Block wondering if I can just drop this in my stang? Casting number question also.