Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

STALLING WHEN PUT IN GEAR

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 05:10 PM
din0007

Default STALLING WHEN PUT IN GEAR

for some reason my 1967 mustang with 289 hipo stalls when I put it in gear so I have to keep one foot on the brake and the other on the gas to stop it from stalling. I have petronix flamethrower 2 distributor with vaccum advance,a msd ignition box, edelbrock dual plane intake, and a demon 650 double pumper carb with vaccum secondary. My timing is good I followed the instructions from Don Gould at FBO systems for setting up my carb and timing and judging by that it seems good but I just can't seem to get it to idle in drive or reverse. please help.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:11 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Default RE: STALLING WHEN PUT IN GEAR

Is this a problem both when cold and hot or just cold?
Old 07-21-2006, 05:20 PM
din0007

both cold and hot, currently I don't have a choke on my carb but will be installing one soon. sometimes after I have driven for a while it will idle in drive but it isn't consistant.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:30 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Is this an automatic tranny? It sounds like you have a vacuum leak in the vaccuum modulator 'circuit' somehwhere.

You mentioned no choke, are the primary butterflies open all the way then or permanently 'cracked-open' for the time being? If they're cracked open, there's your problem, not enough air getting in while the primaries are working. You need to prop the butterflies open or adjust them so they are wide open and lean out your mixture until you get a choke put in.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:53 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: din0007
I followed the instructions from Don Gould at FBO systems for setting up my carb and timing and judging by that it seems good.........I just can't seem to get it to idle in drive or reverse
These 2 statements are in conflict.

Anyway....

If the car starts up, idles fine in park, and then dies when you put it in gear, it is usually the carb not being adjusted properly. The way to test this is to increase the idle to the point where the car does not die when you put the car in gear. Once this is complete, if the car now pulls against the breaks, back the idle down and adjust all the other ***** If it doesn't pull against the breaks, and the idle RPM is acceptable, drive it
Old 07-21-2006, 07:36 PM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

I agree with Dodgestang. My mustang would stall out in gear. It turned out my idle mixture screws were too lean. I adjusted them, and it has never ran better.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:01 PM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

+1 on the idle screws i had to rebuild my carb the day i bought it and i didn't adjust the screws right the first time and i thought i have a dead cyl and it would shake so bad then one day i hooked my vaccum gauge up and played with the mixture screw and bam it ran gr8
Old 07-22-2006, 10:25 PM
rigwelder
2nd Gear Member

i agree with everybodys ideas. but before you check your carb, check for vacume leaks. that will make it run rough and die. check you vacume advance hose.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:00 AM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

I didn't think they put automatics with 289 hipos? Oh well. I forgot to mention check for vaccum leaks. Espiacally around the transmission mod. lines.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:14 AM
bodyputtyless
3rd Gear Member

Anti stall solenoid or dash pot needs to be set up correctly...if its even actually still there.

Quick Reply: STALLING WHEN PUT IN GEAR