Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Rust Inhibitor...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 10:05 PM
67Sally
4th Gear Member

Default Rust Inhibitor...

I might have actually already made a thread about this but I'm pretty much brain dead right now (soccer conditioning). Did you guys spray your floor boards w/ anything before installing the carpet and such?
Old 09-11-2006, 10:09 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Rust Inhibitor...

Seam sealer and POR 15.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:24 PM
67Sally
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

Seam sealer and POR 15.
All the floor boards, right?
Old 09-11-2006, 10:47 PM
03mustgt
4th Gear Member

POR 15 is the sh*t, used it on my dads truck and my old 69 mach 1. definitely POR 15 any areas with rust or that might rust.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:57 PM
jarrettdad
2nd Gear Member

I'm using a rust converter(?) that is supposed to convert rust to a paintable surface.

1) clean metal (as best I can)
2) using the rust converter (aresol can)
3) self etching primer (aresol can)
4) POR 15 (later)
Old 09-12-2006, 11:19 PM
Riven02
4th Gear Member

I use THIS
Old 09-13-2006, 12:38 AM
shr
3rd Gear Member

i think alot of the quality converters suitable for use but its in the prep of the panels that make any of these products shine above the rest, the old saying definatley holds true on this..... spend 20 minutes here car save you hours in the future. o--- i like a product called mar-hyde that is supplied by sikkens paint suppliers.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:51 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

I know it is a hard thing to accept, but the more rust you take off before using a rust encapsulator, the less effective it will be. It chemically changes rust into good paintable steel. Yes, it is rough looking, but that all depends on where you are using it. If it is on the floor, who gives a you know what how it looks. It's covered by carpet anyway. Just use a vacuum cleaner or shop vac to get the loose stuff up, chip off the paint chips, use a very rough sanding wheel, vaccum it again, then apply the rust encapsulator. It also acts as a primer, so paint can be applied over that if you wish.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:28 AM
bradleyb
3rd Gear Member

I went for the rust converter (on the rusty parts, I just chipped up the scale and used a paint chipping wheel to get the loose stuff off), scuffed up the metal and used bed liner - I rolled on the first coat and then sprayed the second coat to get a nice even looking finish and make sure it got in all the knooks and crannies - looks very sweet, helps with sound deadening and very durable................
Old 09-13-2006, 10:09 AM
Color by WEASEL
2nd Gear Member

I am painting the entire interior and truck area, including inside doors and quarters with "Rust Bullet". I looked into it and read a lot of articles about this and POR-15. Many people swear by POR. I did not use it but I did get the "Rust Bullet". I love it. No surface prep, other than wire brush the loose scale. No pretreatment, no additional chemicals, etc. Don't get it on you and forget about reusing any brushes, etc. This stuff dries like a rock. Originally when my car was built, the factory aqpplied seam sealer and painted the crap out of it. By using ANY rust preventitive or encapsulent, you are already superceding the factory way of doing it. I truly believe my car will be better than it was rolling down the line. I am doing underside of the roof too as it has a tendency to condensate and possibly rust...an overlooked area. I figure, I am taking this puppy down to all new welded in place steel on any repairs, and the exterior will be ground to bare metal. For a little more, $125 per gallon, with 2 coats as mfg required, it is more than worth the time and money spent. My car has been here for 40 years and the amount of damage, although typical, has not rotted it away. With this stuff it will be like a time capsule and be here probably after my grandchildren are gone. Yes, do it all. If it rusted once it may again. Use the rust as a guide to future water infiltration. Get it gone...even the new metal. I will not use it on exterior body panels but I am going to put it in like front and rear windshield grooves, etc. After all its coated, I'll use 3M seam sealer. Like Soaring said, it will be covered so really who cares about pretty...although the silver is pretty cool. Heres a pic of one floor pan installed and some misc areas I used it on. Actually today, I am grinding the welds and going to put the first coat on the second pan and areas I did not do while getting the first installed. Good luck and yes, do use something if you intend it to last. To me it is the differenc in "fixing it up" and "restoring it".

[IMG]local://upfiles/36686/9688F95FB3874DE5887BD7DBED77096A.jpg[/IMG]