Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

An option for cheap paint

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 08:25 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Default An option for cheap paint

Well I dont recomend you do this to a show car, but it would work for a daily driver. If you prep it well enough, the paint is the easy part anyway. Get it straight and give it a try, not much to lose...

Sorry but its from a Mopar forum, not advertising them, just got linked to it and thought it was pertinent..

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/...0&fpart=1&vc=1
Old 10-31-2006, 08:26 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Default RE: An option for cheap paint

Heres a charger on that page that was painted this way.. Looks pretty good to me... Might do a car like that this winter. Who knows, it could be the fastback..

[IMG]local://upfiles/14646/E4C589EE158A4DADAC4995976905B911.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-31-2006, 11:38 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

I've also seen a few of the spray-on bedliner paint jobs. The first one I saw on a Jeep fit due to the off-road nature of the rest of the vehicle. He used the black color and left it rough.

The second one looked like he used garage floor enamel on a car. It was smooth and actually didn't look too bad. It had the speckles in it as well.

Heck, if I could find a dark green spray in bed liner material that would finish smooth, my '93 Exploder would get a paint job...talk about your scratch resistant paint jobs. Though, I don't want to think about the weight of such a thing.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:23 AM
tylerdru
4th Gear Member

Im Gonna test this on my deck lid on my day off. I think I will paint it a silver color. I know he did it over metal, but can it be done on primer?
Old 11-01-2006, 02:02 AM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Sure why not? If you dont like it, sand it back off.. Read through and get all the particulars, it seems that thinning it just right is the key. Just might do the fastback.. still havent decided but then again I am like 5 months from needing to worry about it.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:03 AM
paddy187
4th Gear Member

keep us informed sounds an awesome and cheap way to do the car, and he sounds like he knows what he is on about.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:02 AM
72rustang
1st Gear Member

An interesting idea. Reminds me of a story... A former neighbor of mine worked in autobody for 25 years before changing careers. He said that back in VoTech, he and some friends painted his old Nova with a roller, and none too carefully. He
said every time he washed the car he used Comet cleanser , and after 2-3 years the car actually took on a somewhat glossy appearance. All about getting enough paint film buildup to be able to wetsand it smooth. Of course the smoother the paint is initially the easier the sanding goes.

I dunno if this tremclad stuff is available in metallic, but if so it might be best to test on a small panel or some sheet metal first. From what all I read / heard before painting the rustang, you really can't wetsand metallics the way you would a solid color (at least not single-stage metallics, where there is no clearcoat). Supposedly it tends to distort the metallic appearance. Just a heads up before someone tries this with metallic on an entire car and makes themselves a lot of extra work. Just try on a small piece first and see what happens. Solid colors you should be good to go, you can wetsand those as much as needed and then buff and get the shine back.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:48 AM
rigwelder
2nd Gear Member

off coarse were looking at a picure! but if somebody wanted to try it on some extra or scrap metal first. i dont see what it would hurt. its cheap! GOOD THREAD THUMPIN455
Old 11-01-2006, 11:48 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Well, I'll be switched. Never woulda thunk you could paint a car with a foam rubber brush/roller. I'll give it a try on the old Ferguson tractor and see just how it looks. Oh, here is that web site.
http://www.rustoleum.com/product.asp...t_id=548&SBL=5
Old 11-01-2006, 12:18 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

my grandad used to alway talk about painting cars with a paint brush he used to say its all about how u reduce it it will lay out flat no one would beileve him[&:]

Quick Reply: An option for cheap paint