Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

which thermostat?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 10:03 PM
badazz68stang
2nd Gear Member

Default which thermostat?

wondering what degree of thermostat should i put back in my stock radiator and stock radiator w/ no ac. 160,180 or what. i live in West Virginia and only will drive the car in the summer.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:34 PM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

Default RE: which thermostat?

180 is fine.
the thermo only really determines at what temp the water/coolant starts to circulate. you dont want it too cool and if there are overheating problems in summer it wont be because of the temp that the thermostat opens (unless of course its faulty).
Old 10-31-2006, 10:35 PM
badazz68stang
2nd Gear Member

so 180 would be better than 160?
Old 10-31-2006, 10:46 PM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

IMO yes.
there was another thread on this a while back where someone explained why in plain english
i dont know how to search for it

the main thing is make sure the cooling system is clean...ie no blockages or gunk in rad or heater core and no gunk in motor. if the engine has been sitting a while you can install a filter in the top hose until it clears (ususally over a few months) ALL the crap out.

If stock rad, use a shroud too. Makes a huge difference
Old 10-31-2006, 10:52 PM
badazz68stang
2nd Gear Member

good, while we're on the topic of cooing, does anyone know if the temp. sending unit hole on the manifold is 3/8 or 1/2. Im 95 percent sure its 3/8 and i hope it is, cuz i jus ordered an adapter for this aftermarket mech. gauge kit.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:58 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Aussie66Fastback

IMO yes.
there was another thread on this a while back where someone explained why in plain english
i dont know how to search for it

the main thing is make sure the cooling system is clean...ie no blockages or gunk in rad or heater core and no gunk in motor. if the engine has been sitting a while you can install a filter in the top hose until it clears (ususally over a few months) ALL the crap out.

If stock rad, use a shroud too. Makes a huge difference
Plain English? Yeah I have explained many times that a thermostat is not an instant on and an instant off mechanical device. Whenever the temp reaches 180 , the 180 will start to open, then about 200 it will be completely open. That is the best thermostat to be used on these motors because they are designed to run at 180-200 degrees Fareinheit for the best performance.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:23 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

What's funny after reading Soaring's post is the temperatures of my classics. My 160* stat'd '71 stays at 161* while my '65 with a 180* stat stays at 180*. Neither will increase beyond that point...Guess I have good radiators.

A 192* stat will work well for most newer engines. Use the 180* for the older engines. What you ultimately use is determined by the engine design (clearances and materials). Unless you're doing something special, stick with one of these two temps.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:05 AM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

yep good cooling system
precisely what it is supposed to do is open at 180 or whatever and maintain a constant temp

in traffic, opens more. cool conditions on the open road, will shut down some to maintain the 180.

in real hot conditions the temp may go above the thermo rating but the theromo is fully open

you already know this Colorado...sorry, but cooling cars is a pet hobby/hate of mine out here with both my classics and race cars and i love to get on this bandwagon!!
Old 11-01-2006, 12:20 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

It pretty much has to be a pet hobby for anyone with an oldie. The stock cooling systems weren't nearly as overbuilt as they are on the more modern cars.

ORIGINAL: Aussie66Fastback

yep good cooling system
precisely what it is supposed to do is open at 180 or whatever and maintain a constant temp

in traffic, opens more. cool conditions on the open road, will shut down some to maintain the 180.

in real hot conditions the temp may go above the thermo rating but the theromo is fully open

you already know this Colorado...sorry, but cooling cars is a pet hobby/hate of mine out here with both my classics and race cars and i love to get on this bandwagon!!
Old 11-01-2006, 02:32 AM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

so true...i know exactly what I would do to my stang if i could, but I have to keep it stock for registration as a left hand drive car. So that means getting the most out of the stock radiator in this instance.

The hottest temp I have driven it in was 108*F (42*C). It was way up on the guage though still ok as long as I was moving. It was certainly pushing the friendship at the lights. Somehow it didnt boil. Mind you, I suffered 3rd degree burns from the vinyl seats! I try to avoid driving it on those days.

Quick Reply: which thermostat?