Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

"Must Have" upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 02:10 AM
Timelockmind
3rd Gear Member

Default "Must Have" upgrades

In the November issue of Mustang Monthly there is an article on key upgrades for vintage Mustangs including traction bars, single wire alternators, sport seats, sound deadening materials, fuel cells, light enhacements,, etc. I'm curious as to your reactions to their list and which - if any upgrades - you consider critical.

In my point of view once a vintage car has been altered from its birth state (paint, brakes, badging) any upgrades (especially saftey) that still maintain the lookand character of the car make sense. I assume this argument is like "is man good or evil?" - there's no right or wrong... but it's ineteresting to discuss nonetheless.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:33 AM
Gun Jam

Default RE: "Must Have" upgrades

Of the items you listed lights, seats and fuel cells are the only ones that I consider important from the list above. Brighter lights are good and headrests are nice.

Upgraded suspension in the way of shocks, springs, and anit sway bars as well as disc brakes come before any of the above.

Electric fan, MDS (or the like), aluminum radiator are good too.

Gun
Old 11-06-2006, 03:12 AM
FuzzyDiceRule
5th Gear Member

traction bars will make your burnout tracks nice and solid.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:16 AM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Sounds like they just reused an article they posted last year, I think it was. I was rereading some today
Old 11-06-2006, 10:32 AM
earlymustang
2nd Gear Member

pertronix and radials is all that you need.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:26 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

I dunno.. I modify everything, but somethings are just uneeded. A fuel cell? So you need to open the trunk to fill with gas? Yeah great idea. Highback seats are good in the event of a crash, and often are more comfy, but absolutely needeed? nah.. and a one wire alternator? Old stuff works good if you get one with enough amperage.

Like Gun said, making sure it stops, goes around corners, and drives safely is paramount and should be the first thing done to any car you purchase. it woud be a shame if you couldnt avoid Gertrude and her walker because your brakes are faded, the steering is sloppy, and the car wallows like it has marshmallows for tires and springs.

No need to run over kindergarten kids because your car has antiquated brakes.. And you wont drive under many trucks if you can stop either.. I dont often listen to magazine jockeys ideas of what is a must have. most times they arnet in touch with reality and or have other motives... such as selling advertising space.. so they say "Buy this widget for your car, you need it or you will die!" because a magazine is still a business, isnt it?
Old 11-06-2006, 02:30 PM
paddy187
4th Gear Member

Your getting cynical in your old age thumpin!!! I say front disc brakes, pertronix, suspension you would be amaze how much they make on stopping distance if my past experience is anything to go by.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:57 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

not cynical. just realistic.. I have a youthful optimisim coupled with an older pessimisim that yields a comprehensive anaylsis of my immediate ecosystem and is henceforth put into laymans terms so the proletarians with the least amount of reading comprehension and skill can often understand what it is that is being referred to..

now would you be a prole or a party member... lol.. or other...
Old 11-06-2006, 03:28 PM
paddy187
4th Gear Member

I am born cynic and a pessimisit, so fortunatly I will never get cynical in my old age as I was always cynical. As you refer to the proletarians in the third person (i think grammer ain't my strong suit) would that make you the Bourgeoisie? lol
Old 11-06-2006, 03:47 PM
grruminator78
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: THUMPIN455

not cynical. just realistic.. I have a youthful optimisim coupled with an older pessimisim that yields a comprehensive anaylsis of my immediate ecosystem and is henceforth put into laymans terms so the proletarians with the least amount of reading comprehension and skill can often understand what it is that is being referred to..

now would you be a prole or a party member... lol.. or other...
[sm=exactly.gif][sm=lol.gif]

Quick Reply: "Must Have" upgrades