Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

68 Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 02:00 PM
btacarlton

Default 68 Convertible

I have a 77 F250 that I am restoring. Someone offered me a 1968 #'s matching convertible with a straight six and 3 speed that was appraised at $11000 in trade for the truck. What do you think? Good Deal?
Old 11-03-2006, 02:04 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: 68 Convertible

11 grand for a 6 banger 3 speed to too high. More like 7-8 would be a more fair price IMO.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:36 PM
rwh129
4th Gear Member

I would take the Convertible.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:05 PM
Grimm
2nd Gear Member

How far along are you on the truck? Seems like alot to me for a six banger.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:04 PM
Lumbergh
2nd Gear Member

Agree. It all depends on the condition of the truck. To be appraised at $11,000, that six banger 'vert must be in good condition. From Manheim Gold Book (there are other websites that provide classic car values, but I'll leave further searching up to you) a 68 Mustang Convertible in "Good" condition with the 6 cyl is valued at $15,000. However, in fair condition it is only valued at $5,000. The Gold Book definition of fair and good:

FAIR - Essentially complete and functional. Missing no major parts. Suitable for restoration. Paint, chrome and bodywork showing age. Minor body or chassis rust. Drives, but engine, brakes, transmission not perfect.

GOOD - Well maintained original or an earlier restoration showing normal wear and aging, presentable, drivable, complete and fully functional. Most "nice" cars are in this category.

Most cars that I see outside of shows (and actually over half of the cars in shows) aren't any better than good condition and quite a few don't even qualify as good. In the case of that vert, are you sure there is no rust, does the top work smoothly and reliably, only minor wear in the carpeting and seats, etc.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:49 PM
ideal_mustangs
4th Gear Member

That would have to be a great truck, because I've seen extremely few 77 F250's worth 11000, and I've dealt in my fair share of Ford trucks. More than mustangs.
Old 11-04-2006, 12:37 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

depends the truck if its a jacked up 4x4 big block id keep it if its 2wd id trade them
Old 11-09-2006, 02:43 PM
btacarlton

Well I am going to get a good look at the mustang today. As far as the truck, it is a 77 F250 Highboy 4x4 with a rebuilt 351m(bored .030 over, mild cam), NP435 4 speed trans, NP205 transfer case, aluminum radiator and shroud with electric fan, HEI style dist., optima battery, custom gauges and gauge panel(stainless steel), custom embroiderd leather bench seat, custom leather headliner(matches seat), 33 inch tires on 16" aluminum rims, completely rewired with a Painless wiring kit, speed demon 650 carb on new performer intake, custom(by me) painted valve covers as well as some other minor things. I have seen values on the truck right around $10-12,000. I got a good deal on the truck when I bought it and even with everything I have done, I am still well under $11000. I am more concerned with the value of the mustang. I checked NADA and it said Low Retail is $8000, Average Retail is $16,240 and High Retail is $27520.

Low Retail Value
This vehicle would be in mechanically functional condition, needing only minor reconditioning. The exterior paint, trim, and interior would show normal wear, needing only minor reconditioning. May also be a deteriorated restoration or a very poor amateur restoration. Most usable "as-is".

Some of the vehicles in this publication could be considered "Daily Drivers" and are not valued as a classic vehicle. When determining a value for a daily driver, it is recommended that the subscriber use the low retail value.

Note: This value does not represent a "parts car".

Average Retail Value
This vehicle would be in good condition overall. It could be an older restoration or a well-maintained original vehicle. Completely operable. The exterior paint, trim, and mechanics are presentable and serviceable inside and out. A "20-footer".

High Retail Value
This vehicle would be in excellent condition overall. It could be a completely restored or an extremely well maintained original vehicle showing very minimal wear. The exterior paint, trim, and mechanics are not in need of reconditioning. The interior would be in excellent condition. Note: This value does not represent a "100 Point" or "# 1" vehicle *.
* "100 Point" or "# 1" vehicle is not driven. It would generally be in a museum or transported in an enclosed trailer to concourse judging and car shows. This type of car would be stored in a climate-regulated facility.

Old 11-09-2006, 03:00 PM
superdavid
4th Gear Member

68 covertible+ decent paint= chick magnate. So long as its not rusted out, you can't go wrong with a classic Stang.
Old 11-09-2006, 03:02 PM
jrrhd73must
3rd Gear Member

Take the vert.

Quick Reply: 68 Convertible