MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   Classic Mustangs (Tech) (https://mustangforums.com/forum/classic-mustangs-tech-16/)
-   -   Problem w/ start up... (https://mustangforums.com/forum/classic-mustangs-tech/212042-problem-w-start-up.html)

Dan66Stang 11-29-2006 11:22 PM

Problem w/ start up...

Okay, Ive been having a little problem lately. It seems if my car is low on gas the car doesnt wanna start right in the morning. I mean it will turn over, but it takes forever to crank. But when the tank is full, I have no trouble at all. I drive it every day, so its really starting to get on my nerves! And also I live in SC, and its like mid 50's in the morning right now. Do you guys have any idea what this could be? Thanks...

Yonco 11-30-2006 12:00 AM

RE: Problem w/ start up...

It shouldnt be a fuel problem as long as you pump b4 you start, i dont see how the tank level could cause a problem unless your actually "low". What about choke, do you use choke? is it still working? -Jon

Aussie66Fastback 11-30-2006 12:02 AM

I would have said weak battery...not whether it is charging or not but actually how many cranking amps it is punching. A good auto elec shop has the gear to test this and it often shows up first when the weather is cooler than normal.

But you said it is fine when the tank is full...so fuel pressure problem maybe? does it still have the mechanical fuel pump? COuld be an issue with the diafram whatsit. You wouldnt think that a full tank would make the difference, but you may have picked up the early stage of the problem.

How does it start when warmed up and does it still have good full throttle response?
Does it have an auto choke?

Dan66Stang 11-30-2006 01:18 AM

ORIGINAL: Aussie66Fastback

I would have said weak battery...not whether it is charging or not but actually how many cranking amps it is punching. A good auto elec shop has the gear to test this and it often shows up first when the weather is cooler than normal.

But you said it is fine when the tank is full...so fuel pressure problem maybe? does it still have the mechanical fuel pump? COuld be an issue with the diafram whatsit. You wouldnt think that a full tank would make the difference, but you may have picked up the early stage of the problem.

How does it start when warmed up and does it still have good full throttle response?
Does it have an auto choke?
No, no auto choke. And its starts fine when warm. I know the tank level thing sounded stupid but thats the only thing I could link to it. I guess it could be possibly what you suggested.

Scott H. 11-30-2006 02:29 AM

Tomorrow morning when you go out to your car, take off the air cleaner top and look down through the front venturi's while moving the carb linkage to full open. You should see a solid stream of fuel from each venturi. Two complete pumps with good squirts should start the car quickly.
If you don't have two solid squirts, you have a fuel issue. If you do have two solid squirts, you have a mechanical or electrical issue.
Good luck,

Brandontyler65 11-30-2006 03:39 AM

my 67 has been starting like crap lately since it got cold

mlitz 11-30-2006 05:26 AM

just a tip if you have POINTS in your car they suck in cold weather

supermanzx9r 11-30-2006 08:10 AM

you say this problem only happens when your gas is low but never happens when it is full ..........sounds like debri in the gas tank

Dan66Stang 11-30-2006 01:18 PM

Thanks for all the replies, it could be any of the suggestions. I did what you said Scott H., and it was fine. Yea, it has points but I had those replaced not too long ago. And the debris in the gas tank is very possible I guess.

thunderize 11-30-2006 01:48 PM

I am new to classic Mustangs and I have been having a problem with start up also. I dont drive mine daily but I do have to move it in and out of the garage to work on it.

How can you tell if the auto choke is working properly or adjusted correctly?

Also i just rebuilt the carb so could it be a float setting issue? To high or to low?

I do have points also and have no idea how old they are. I am looking to convert to pointless.

Thanks!