Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Oil Pan Man

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 09:12 AM
bignatesan
1st Gear Member

Default Oil Pan Man

I dropped the oil pan last week to try and fix an annoying little leak and found a tiny hole in it. Something hit the pan and made a crease by the plug causing a small hole, kind of like when you crush a beer can and get a little hole at the edge of the crease. Anyway, being a cheap bastard, I went and got a brand new pan for free from an engine building friend. It is off a late model 5.0 crate engine. To be sure it fit I brought a gasket set for my pan with me, the holes lined up and they looked identical so I thought I was gtg, but not so fast. I soon learned my new pan was about 1/2" shallower than my old pan and the pick up tube hits the bottom preventing a successful union of my pan and the block. Does anyone out there know if there is a shorter pick up tube I can get so the pan will fit, or is my cheap tail going to have to get off the $40 for a new pan (or $3 for some JB weld to fix the old one)? Thanks!

Big Nate
Old 12-16-2006, 11:19 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Oil Pan Man

Ya know, I have tried to use JB weld several times without success. I don't know....maybe I don't get the steel/hardener mix just right or something. I had the same exact crease in mine as you do, so I just bought a new pan. Don't know about a shorter pickup. If you have a welder, you could weld it. Or if you have a cutting torch you could braze it.
Old 12-16-2006, 06:28 PM
bignatesan
1st Gear Member

I just ordered a new pan and pump from NPD, still a cheapskate at heart but can't bear to do a ptach job on the pan. Has anyone used the bolt on windage tray they sell at NPD or any other vendor? Does it attach to the main caps?

Thanks
Old 12-16-2006, 06:36 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Hey Nate. I can only assume you are a big dude, but with the SAN in your handle, I assume you also spent some time in Japan. Navy? Yokosuka?
Old 12-16-2006, 06:43 PM
bignatesan
1st Gear Member

You nailed it Glen! I am really not that big by U.S. standards but the name stuck from Japan. The guys on my softball team said I have to change it to Medium Nate, but that just doesn't flow as well.

Old 12-16-2006, 06:51 PM
LCC
4th Gear Member

I think you will have a hard time fitting the pan in the car because of the crossmember.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:05 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

you could just have used bondo on the pan to close the leak....it works 5.00 a qt
Old 12-16-2006, 08:07 PM
boeing747arowair
3rd Gear Member

lol nice!
Old 12-16-2006, 08:18 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

it works
Old 12-16-2006, 10:07 PM
bignatesan
1st Gear Member

The pan fits in fine, just a little too shallow. I need to save the bondo to reconstruct my rear quarter panel, headlight buckets, front fenders and "A" pillar, not sure I can spare any for the oil pan........[sm=joke.gif]

So has anyone done the add-on windage tray?????

Quick Reply: Oil Pan Man