Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Wax question

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 10:26 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default Wax question

I have been using Meguiar's Gold Class for awhile now and both of my cars are clean and shiny and repel water, but I used Mothers California Gold Carnauba Cleaner Wax on Old Yeller today because I had a jug of it on the shelf. The ingredients on the Mothers says it has Brazilluian carnauba wax in it. Ok, so what does that mean? Actually, I guess my question is what is the difference between cleaner wax and just plain old wax? What is it in cleaner wax that is not in the Meguiar's Gold Class liquid wax?
Old 12-17-2006, 10:33 PM
Bulldog66
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Wax question

Froom what I understand - a Cleaner wax is used to feather minor scratches and impuritys in the paint and wax it in one step. Again, from what I understand it's a great clear coat wax as it takes the tiny scratches out by feathering them as you apply the wax and shines it all in one step.

I could be wrong but that's how I understand it.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:47 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Sounds like you know what you are talking about. I hit Ol' yeller with the cleaner, then the Meguiar's and she sparkles. No scratch marks or swirl marks. Just shiny yelller paint.
However, do we guys really know what we are buying? What is it (chemically) that is in the cleaner wax that is not in the regular wax? Are they all the same? Are we being led down a road of advertisting where the company who spends more on advertising gets the greatest profits, but all of the ingredients in these waxes are the same?
Old 12-17-2006, 10:49 PM
65coupe88hatch
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

Sounds like you know what you are talking about. I hit Ol' yeller with the cleaner, then the Meguiar's and she sparkles. No scratch marks or swirl marks. Just shiny yelller paint.
Pics?
Old 12-17-2006, 11:57 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 1988 Mustang Lx

Pics?
I always have pics of Ol yeller.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:57 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Carnuba is the old fashioned stuff. Thought you'd know that one.[sm=icon_stickpoke.gif] It's best on the old-fashioned paints (lacquer/enamel).

The Meguiar's Gold Class isn't wax really. It's a silicon based sealer which is better for a clear coat.

The old way is to clean, polish, then wax for the best shine.

I have been using Meguiar's Gold Class for awhile now and both of my cars are clean and shiny and repel water, but I used Mothers California Gold Carnauba Cleaner Wax on Old Yeller today because I had a jug of it on the shelf. The ingredients on the Mothers says it has Brazilluian carnauba wax in it. Ok, so what does that mean? Actually, I guess my question is what is the difference between cleaner wax and just plain old wax? What is it in cleaner wax that is not in the Meguiar's Gold Class liquid wax?
Old 12-18-2006, 05:54 AM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

i cleaned polished then used that nxt tech wax and i got a real nice shine out of it i was really impressed i have heard great things about the turtle wax ICE and i think that i am gunna try it

just to add i have alot of people that come into my store and they swear by that TR3 resin glaze i am tempted to try it
Old 12-18-2006, 09:06 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

i have always stuck to mothers so i wouldnt know
Old 12-18-2006, 09:59 AM
earlymustang
2nd Gear Member

next time you wash your car try this out b/f waxing. tried it out on my 06' charger a month ago and it works great. takes all of the impurities out of the clear and makes it extremely smooth. pretty easy and quick to use once you get the hang of it. amazing what a car can pick up from just sitting on a lot from just June to October. anyway, will be using it on my 65' next spring.

http://www.claymagic.net/
Old 12-18-2006, 10:40 AM
Cannonball888
2nd Gear Member

Zaino Total Protection Show Car Kit is the shizzle for rizzle.

Quick Reply: Wax question