Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

I'm new - with a question

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 04:22 PM
myoldtang

Default I'm new - with a question

First off - let me say HI - this looks like a good forum. My name is Ben and I reside in Denver, Colorado.

When I was young, I owned a '68 Mustang. Nothing fancy - 289 engine, 3-speed transmission. It had a valve job not long before I sold it, so the engine was in pretty good shape. I sold it to my brother-in-law, who I thought was gonna restore it, or at least take better care of it. He basically parked it out in his back yard in Albuquerque, NM, where it still is to this day.

Since it's been sitting in his back yard since about 1985, could it possibly be worth restoring? It does have sentimental value, but I don't want to waste too much time on it if it's shot. BTW, Albuquerque is pretty dry.
Old 10-19-2004, 08:51 PM
Frank_Bullitt
1st Gear Member

Default RE: I'm new - with a question

Welcome to the forum!

I must say it is very sad to see any old mustang left to rot outside all alone...sniff sniff.
Myself I would love to save a old mustang from a long lonely death of rust. Butt to move along on the topic, I would have to ask what kind is the 68? Coupe, Fastback Conv? Also how bad does it look rust wise. (if you have pictures that would be helpful) 67-68 is a amazing year in my mind for one of the best looking kind of cars. Also great for restomods if thats what your looking for. It all depends on how much damage the car has taken over the years, if it is really run down it is going to be a job none the less to work on thats for sure. Also have you found out how much he is selling it for? Anymore info you can add would be helpful.
Old 10-20-2004, 08:40 AM
horseshoeing
3rd Gear Member

You could make it run and just drive it for fun. If you get a mustang , you don't have to make it a show car. I still have my 1st car (66 mustang). I don't want to sell it because it was my 1st car. I had her for 17 years now. She has some rust but she had some rust when I got her. One day I will fix that. I spent my money and time on eveything else. She is a fun car.
Old 10-22-2004, 07:10 PM
myoldtang

Thanks all!

This car is a coupe. Standard transmission. When I had it, it had some major paint oxidation (it was painted green), and rust around the wheel wells - but that was about it. I haven't seen the car in ages - haven't wanted to see my sweetheart in knee-deep weeds, ya know - so I don't know what condition it is in now. I have a feeling my bro-in-law would just give it back to me, though. I wonder what it would take to get it at least driveable, so I could get it back here to Denver. Far as I know, he didn't do anything other than park the car so many years ago - so I'm afraid for the engine.
Old 10-23-2004, 12:39 AM
Frank_Bullitt
1st Gear Member

If you would plan to just give it back to you I say do it no questions asked. If rust isn't bad and is just surfice rust then that can be stoped with good produces. Engine can be re-worked and hearts can be gold again, I say go for it and make it a sweet heart that we all want to see again! Restoration jobs can be tough and not cost to much if you have most of the car parts, once you starting moding it and turn it into a mad horse with wheels thats when the green buck comes into play alot more.