Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

My first Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 04:38 AM
castanza

Default My first Mustang

Hi folks. Well it was the car I always wanted, never had, until now. I picked it up cheap, it actually runs, but after about a week of tearing (way) into it, and reading a lot - I'm concerned about how much rust is too much? I can read a newspaper through the floorpans - that bad. Areas "above" don't seem to bad, just surface. Even the trunk, suprisingly, not that bad. But I'm guessing as bad as the floor pans are, the frame rails and other major support or going to need... a lot of work. More than I'm capable of - I know nothing about welding

I've contemplated just throwing it back on craigslist and waiting for something else, spending more to get something further along, and getting something I can do in my garage. But for some reason, maybe after a 40 mile ride home from where I bought it.. I just feel compelled to do whatever it takes, you know? I'm not going for show-quality, just something in good shape that is fun and safe to drive.

Don't be fooled by the photos, theres 3 coats of paint and some rust on the exterior as well (plus a few bondo spots, but nothing huge). Thoughts?

Old 02-26-2007, 08:47 AM
supermanzx9r
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: My first Mustang

NEED MORE PICS TO HELP YOU
Old 02-26-2007, 08:50 AM
grruminator78
4th Gear Member

dude, first of all congrats and welcome to the family. I say if you think it's too much for you (I once thought that but now I've changed my mind) Go ahead and sell if you are serious about getting another one soon. Besides you might make a few $$ on the sale with creative marketing Anyhew, why not just jack up the car and check the frame first. If your frame is okay then you are probably in good shape. And now is not a bad time to start learning. I say keep it and get to work! Either way good luck
Old 02-26-2007, 10:17 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

You are either going to have to buy a welder and learn to weld, or have someone else replace the floor pans for you. If your floor pans are rusted out, you can bet your cowl is toast also, and maybe even your front frame rails. You need to do some hard thinking on this, and make up your mind to either get the welding skills, or sell it and get one that isn't so far gone.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:54 AM
castanza

Thanks Grruminator. Here are the scary pics

Old 02-27-2007, 02:13 AM
connor90
4th Gear Member

if you dont mind me asking, how much did you pay?
Old 02-27-2007, 02:17 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

I don't know, from what I can see with the exception of the floorpans, it does not look that bad.

repeat,,, from what I can see....

If most of the rust is confined to the floorpans, the repairs should not be that extensive.

Is it just my eyes, or is that floorpan wet in the picture?
Old 02-27-2007, 06:41 AM
castanza

It's not just your eyes. This is what I"m dealing with. I have one pool table to move and then this gets inside, finally. It's been over a week. I'm a bad, bad person.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:29 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

JMD, look at that engine bay. Do you see the shock tower and export brace?[]
Old 02-27-2007, 08:33 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

its all fixable if you can weld and take the time to do it right

Quick Reply: My first Mustang