Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Magnaflow Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 04:44 AM
gothand
5th Gear Member

Default Magnaflow Question

To those who have installed or seen the Magnaflow exhaust system on an early Mustang (mine is a '65) did you notice that is hangs kind of low, away from the body? I've got the X about as high as it can be so as to just not interfere with the parking brake, but it sure seems to hang low. It looks fine at the mufflers, but the X-pipe drops down on the front side of them and sits probably 4" or so away from the body. At first I thought I had the X-pipe upside down, but it looks like that is an impossibility as it would be up into the body if I flipped it over.

So, what is your experience? If I can't get this better, I can see that I'd have to have the X cut out and new custom pipes fit closer to the body. With the Global West suspension, the ehaust is maybe only 4" off of the ground and I'm afraid I'll be dragging it everywhere.

Thanks!
Old 02-26-2007, 05:33 AM
Galactusz
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Magnaflow Question

My Magnaflows fits and sits nice and snug on the undercarriage, no problems here.

I had it installed for me, so I can't really tell you what they did differently.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:02 AM
JamesW

Mine sit up tight other than right here, where I had to pick up the headers and then come back up.

Old 02-26-2007, 03:29 PM
gothand
5th Gear Member

Thanks for the photos. Hector, do you have any side shots of your setup so I can see how far your X-pipe is away from the body and which way it is installed? There is no up or down on the pipe and the instructions are pretty weak so I'm not certain I have that part right. If I were to flip it over, I think it'd be into the body. [:@]

I have always had custom installed exhaust, similar to James, but at only $350 for this kit I thought I'd give it a go. I must say, the pipes aft of the mufflers fit top notch.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:52 PM
Galactusz
4th Gear Member

Well my ride is getting some electrical wiring at the shop right now, I'm going to head on there this Friday, I'll try to take more pictures then.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:10 PM
Galactusz
4th Gear Member

Hey, I noticed you are the very first one who has called me by my real name, Hector...lol...cool man, thanks.

I managed to find a couple of other angles, I hope that helps you a bit more.

Notice the pipes on the bottom of the picture, they sit very snug, they don't hang down anywhere whatsoever, the guy who installed it did an excellent job:

See? Very snug fit, the pipes don't hang down at all:

These puppies will never hit the pavement.

Keep in mind though, I have no headers, I'm using my stock manifolds.

[8D]

Old 02-26-2007, 04:42 PM
Galactusz
4th Gear Member

How about this? I have more pictures...LOL!

You can't even see the pipes from the side:

More:

This one is really dark underneath, but as you can see, no visible hanging pipes:

Old 02-26-2007, 05:37 PM
gothand
5th Gear Member

The pics helped tremendously, thanks Hector.

It looks like I have my X-pipe upside down compared to your pic. I installed mine like picture 8 below, with the X-pipe going lower in front of the mufflers.

Your picture below shows it to be just the opposite, being angling up in front of the mufflers. Or, is that an illusion and yours bends the same direction? It looks like your installer cut the pipes just in front of the X and made his own bends around the crossmember. I may just have to have the muffler shop re-work this area when I take it in for the permanent connection to the headers (I'm using flexible for the moment).

Thanks again!
Old 02-26-2007, 06:07 PM
Galactusz
4th Gear Member

No problem my good man!

Yes, you hit the nail on the head, they pipes were angled a bit, the installer did cut and modify the pipes a bit.

I think that should be your best bet, have some muffler shop modify them a bit, cut and positioned them just right, whatever extra money who might be charged, it will be well worth it, your Magnaflows will sit nice and snug, and they will NEVER hit the pavement, you will be pleased.

And they sound awesome, don't they?

[8D]
Old 02-27-2007, 02:42 AM
gothand
5th Gear Member

I snapped a pic looking at the side (excuse the lousy lighting ). As you can see, the exhaust hangs down low enough that you can see between it and the body. If I were to remove the center section (X-pipe) and install it going upwards in front of the exhaust, it would be pretty high, assuming it didn't fit, and would take some serious creative bending to scooch around the emergency brake and cross member. Hmmm, maybe I'll have to give Magnaflow a call in the morning.

Quick Reply: Magnaflow Question