Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Carburated vs. Fuel Injected

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 09:05 PM
jbrittell

Default Carburated vs. Fuel Injected

Hi guys, I am torn at which way I should go. Carburated or Fuel injected. I am restoring a 68 mustang coupe that had an I6 in it. I have a fuel injected 302 from a 92 mustang ready to go. Should I keep it fuel injected or change it to carb? Can I get more power with a beafy carburator setup? If you guys were in my shoes, what would you do?

Justin
Old 02-27-2007, 09:08 PM
Jugador
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Carburated vs. Fuel Injected

depends on how often you'll drive it and how bad you want reliability, gas mileage, and to do wiring work you wouldn't otherwise have to. well tuned carbs will always make more power than fuel injection. fuel injection will almost always be more reliable and efficient. only you can make the decision though
Old 02-27-2007, 10:27 PM
ih8chevy
5th Gear Member

+1 on this whole statement
ORIGINAL: Jugador

depends on how often you'll drive it and how bad you want reliability, gas mileage, and to do wiring work you wouldn't otherwise have to. well tuned carbs will always make more power than fuel injection. fuel injection will almost always be more reliable and efficient. only you can make the decision though
Old 02-27-2007, 10:31 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Ive driven carbuerated mustangs for as long as I can remember. And where I live teh temp ranges from -60* to over 100*. Ive NEVER had a problem with box stock carbs. Not to mention FI will NEVER give the kick in the pants feeling you get from a double pumper.
-P.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:45 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Last edited by Scott H.; 01-13-2010 at 11:25 PM.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:53 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

You can always get a vacuum tank to keep power brakes if you really decide to go with that moster of a cam. And well, Ive raced plenty of EFI cars to convince me otherwise. Not to mention modding an EFI system is VERY expensive. You can go more radical with A LOT less money.
-P.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:11 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

id use the it way it is i hate rebuilding a carb
Old 02-28-2007, 12:16 AM
LCC
4th Gear Member

Don't get me started.....we had a thread like this not too long ago.....EFI carb is my answer.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:17 AM
KBunny
2nd Gear Member

Ok so I am majoring in automotive tec at school and you peaked my interest with the "carb will make more HP then EFI".
How exactly is it that you can make more HP/TQ with a carbed car and yet not with EFI?
I mean if the EFI is more precise and efficient wouldn't that lead to more HP/TQ?
is it partially due to all the sensors, computers, and wiring you have to do in order for it to work properly?
Old 02-28-2007, 01:24 AM
mustanglover66
4th Gear Member

the computor tunes the engine to peak effenicy, not peak power. but you can get a massflow setup for the horse power you want out of the engine. In other words as for efi its all in the chip.

Quick Reply: Carburated vs. Fuel Injected