Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

fuel line alternatives

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 02:53 AM
bradleyb
3rd Gear Member

Default fuel line alternatives

I am thinking about buying the FrontRunner serpentine system from Vintage - going to take the plunge when I buy the A/C unit (and it is going to hurt .......). If I go serpentine I would need to get an electronic fuel pump since the hardware bracketdisplaces the mechanical fuel pump - question then becomes the fuel lines???? What do you guys think I should do regarding the fuel lines???

Should I go with the piece that goes from the back to the front and put the fuel pump and pressure unit there (I always see fuel pumps in the tank or back of the car - I always heard they had no ability to pull fuel so they have to be in a gravity feed situation and then the pump can push the fuel to the carb)?????

Should I just put the fuel pump and gauge in the back of the car and use steel braided lines to get to the carb (and bypass the pre-formed stock lines altogether)????

thoughts?

thanks
Old 03-01-2007, 03:07 AM
bradleyb
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: fuel line alternatives

I am looking at summitracing.com and am thinking about using an 8" Russell Nitrous to the fuel pump ($16), then use the 16 foot snaked around the standard path to the front of the car ($55), then use a 36" line to the carb ($23) -- so for $94 bucks, I get steel braided lines to the carb with the factory sealed fittings so no leakage (less than it would cost for pre-formed and should look pretty cool).

They have Carter electric fuel pump with relay and shutoff for around $90 so not much more than a decent mechanical fuel pump and I needed a new fuel pump anyhoot
Old 03-01-2007, 03:25 AM
gothand
5th Gear Member

Is that serpentine setup a few thousand dollars? A cheaper solution to the same end, with readily available factory parts is a serpentine setup from a Fox body Mustang. Go to the pick and pull and tear off the front half of a 5.0L. I have an internally regulated high output alternator from a Taurus SHO, factory AC compressor (don't have an AC system installed yet but will) and a factory power steering pump (required a $5 adaptor to plumb in the stock '65 hose.

Soaring will think this is blasphemy, but here goes: [sm=lol.gif]

[edit] I'm still using a mechanical fuel pump. This setup requires a reverse rotation water pump, LH outlet radiator and 5.0L swap radiator hoses.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:38 AM
bradleyb
3rd Gear Member

yep, it is close to a couple of grand for the unit that is all polished. You get a 140 alternator and a polished Sanden compressor with polished lines and and the OEM tensioner with all the pulleys.... The nice thing about their setup is that is all bolts onto their special hardware so it makes the alignment a non-issue. still debating but it is quite something to see
Old 03-01-2007, 03:40 AM
bradleyb
3rd Gear Member

also, I have the manual rack and pinion steering so the whole belt adjustment issue could be a ****. I am getting this unit from a distributor that builds show cars and I went through some issues he had on some other units and the Vintage units seem like the least hassle way to go (although I like your setup for the native Ford element)
Old 03-01-2007, 03:58 AM
gothand
5th Gear Member

I could take the power steering pump out of the system, just like the smog pump already is, just by changing to a shorter belt. Anyway, I'm sure your polished setup will look like a million bucks while mine looks somewhat ... pedestrian.

Back to your original post, I briefly had an electric fuel pump in this vehicle when it had the 351W and it was mounted up front in the engine compartment on the left inner fender. Even with rubber insulators, it was too noisy for my taste so I ditched it for a mechanical. I know EFI systems have the pump in the back by the tank, but the pressure on the carb'd pumps only about 7 psi so I don't think it is an issue up front.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:48 AM
bradleyb
3rd Gear Member

hey, pedestrian is still walking pretty nicely

The distributor I am talking to mentioned the loud fuel pumps too. I did see some that are advertised for low noise on summit. I would probably be better staying with the stock pre-formed fuel lines - no engineering issues there
Old 03-02-2007, 04:07 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

you always mount a inline pump as close to the tank as you can its easyer for it to push fuel then to pull it
Old 03-02-2007, 04:18 AM
gothand
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: andrewmp6

you always mount a inline pump as close to the tank as you can its easyer for it to push fuel then to pull it
Then why is it okay for the mechanical fuel pump to be all the way up by the engine ... because it is a low pressure pump.

As for the fuel line, why not just use rubber fuel line?
Old 03-02-2007, 09:44 AM
burnettt
2nd Gear Member

ALWAYS MOUNT THE PUMP AS CLOSE TO THE TANK AS POSSIBLE. I've heard some guys say it's ok to mount it in the engine compartment, trust me it's not.I've even seen pics of cars with it mounted there. All i know is i payed 110 for a Holley red pump and it only lasted 3 months. Almost left me on the side of the road, buti got it to start upthen itsputtered and poped all the way home.
ORIGINAL: gothand

I could take the power steering pump out of the system, just like the smog pump already is, just by changing to a shorter belt. Anyway, I'm sure your polished setup will look like a million bucks while mine looks somewhat ... pedestrian.

Back to your original post, I briefly had an electric fuel pump in this vehicle when it had the 351W and it was mounted up front in the engine compartment on the left inner fender. Even with rubber insulators, it was too noisy for my taste so I ditched it for a mechanical. I know EFI systems have the pump in the back by the tank, but the pressure on the carb'd pumps only about 7 psi so I don't think it is an issue up front.

Quick Reply: fuel line alternatives