Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

help with fuel sending unit please

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 08:32 AM
deadmanrob
1st Gear Member

Default help with fuel sending unit please

Hi im rob and im new to this forum and new too classics . i have a 1970 ford mustang coupe . been in my family since around 80 and been sittin since ....around 81. my problem is i took out and cleaned the fuel tank and removed the fuel tank sending unit and am trying to replace it . now mine has a thin peice of aluminum or some other metal from the head to the body of the unit and has no filter on the primary shaft but the ones i am looking to buy has a filter on it and some sort of yellow wire in place of the thin metal . it says it is from a mach 1 70 and i asked the guy about it he said it will fit but wont work correctly if my car has some sort of indicator...... this is my first project classic and im trying not to ruin a good thing it needs work but its all cosmetic the car will run like a champ even after sittin for so long . please help me find the right sending unit and explain to me whats going on because one guy told me all 70's sending units are compatable and another tells me different.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2560576theres a link to a page with the pictures when i first got it home . like i said its been sittin since about 80-81 and has what i believe to be 47,000 original miles on it . was my uncles first car in 80 and he wrecked it and my dad put it back together years back and eventually down the line it got to me for $150 and i plan on doing to this masterpiece what it deserves.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:02 AM
bodyputtyless
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: help with fuel sending unit please

I'm confused by your description. Its been a while since I change my sending unit but I don't recall a "filter". What you refer to as the filter is most likely the float. The sending unit only "sends" fuel level data to the fuel gauge. It doesn't "send" fuel to the carb. The removal and installation was pretty straight forward. Theres one wire that sends the level to the gauge and then either the unit itself is the ground or theres a wire that gets bolted to the tank. Again I can't recall off the top of my head. I'm betting that your old sending unit is so wasted, that the float has vanished. Again, this should be a simple swap. BTW I have a 70 Mach 1 and I only have a fuel gauge. I don't have an idiot light that warns me of a low fuel condition. Maybe Grandes did. Maybe this is the indicator the other fellow is mentioning concrening the sending unit. Again it was pretty straight forward when I changed mine. Old one out new one in. If I recall the hardest part was getting the new one in past the opening.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:08 AM
deadmanrob
1st Gear Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...858&rd=1,1that is the link to the one i am thinking of buying it has the pictures where it shows not only the float but a filter on there and that isnt on mine and the wire which mine again was just a flat piece of metal . and another thing if mine does have the warning light and i was to put this on there would the fuel gauge work just not the idiot light?

and if you goto this link http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2560576/1i just posted a pic on my cardomain for you to see my old sending unit through and the float didnt dissappear lol it just started cracking down the middle.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:32 AM
boeing747arowair
3rd Gear Member

whether or not it has a filter ( or came with one stock)isnt a problem i mean i rather have my gas filter than clog up my jets. I dont know if your tank is new so its not going to matter. As for the yellow wire, that is wat sends the signal to the gauge probably back then it was an uncovered wire but now it is insulated. Nothing big, probably just an improvement that will either give you a more accurate reading or a safer environment! good luck man and pretty good find or pick lol
Old 03-01-2007, 09:38 AM
deadmanrob
1st Gear Member

ok thats what i figured and thx for the props . i figure itll still read whether or not i have a warning light i can read the diff between a e and an f
Old 03-01-2007, 10:34 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Yes there is a filter. It's called the "sock." For the gasket, you will need to use some sort of glue to get the black gasket to stick so that you don't leak. I used contact cement. Also, on the outside of the unit, you will see a small bolt with a nut. That is where your wiring will connect. Anyway, make sure that nut is tight. Sometimes the new units come with that loose and it will drip gas if not tight.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:22 AM
deadmanrob
1st Gear Member

well i boguht it lets hope its the same ha ha.