Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

One-wire Alternator conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 01:32 AM
TomSlick

Default One-wire Alternator conversion

Has anyone (everyone) changed their 3-wire alt to the more popular 1- wire? I have a 69 coupe with a 302 and am looking into a serpentine belt system with the 1-wire 100 amp alt. Thanks. BTW has anyone seen "Moonlight Blue metalic" I'm looking for a good Ford blue and "Vista Blue" is very nice in the sunbut a bit too purpleish. See ya at the next light
Old 03-06-2007, 01:41 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: One-wire Alternator conversion

Me.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:15 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Did the ~100 amp 1-wire alternator upgrade on a different car, but kept the V-belt drive. Not sure that you actually need 100 amps unless you have (or plan to add) EFI or a beefier than stock sound system, though.

Norm
Old 03-06-2007, 12:29 PM
TomSlick

Its not the amount of amps that concerns me so much as how to hook it up.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:23 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

(Disclaimer)>>> I have not done one.

But I imagine that it is as simple as hooking one wire to the battery side of the solenoid.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:38 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Yup. The 100 amp output still goes to the same place that the 50 or whatever went to before. Has to. You simply don't connect the little wires, because their function is handled internally in the 1-wire unit. There's something about having to rev past 2500 rpm to make it "kick in", at least the first time,though I don't know offhand if that's engine rpm or alternator rpm. Anyway, I'd tapeover the ends of the little wires and abandon them in place just to cover the possibility that your 1-wire takes a dump and only 3-wire units are readily available.

Norm
Old 03-06-2007, 02:49 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JMD

(Disclaimer)>>> I have not done one.

But I imagine that it is as simple as hooking one wire to the battery side of the solenoid.
On reflection I want to add a couple of points, I would run a new wire of appropriate guage from the alternator to the battery side of the solenoid, and include a fuseable link or a fuse (is 100 amp possible with inline fuse?) very close to the solenoid. This will take a large guage wire that will need to be bigger than the stockhot wire that runs to your current alternator.

It is very easy for a wire of the sizeneeded for this 100 amp alternator (or even the existing stock wire if overloaded)to start a fire. Protect your circuit!!!
Old 03-06-2007, 09:20 PM
LCC
4th Gear Member

Ichanged mine too a 100 amp alt, easy. Used a 6 AWG wire 3' long and works perfect...As for the charging, 800 rpm starts the charging circuit but keeps charging when it dips below 800 rpm after start..
Old 03-07-2007, 01:45 AM
mySAVIOReigns
3rd Gear Member

I'm lost on what ya'll are talking about, but this sounds like a good idea, as I will eventually have a pretty good sound system in mine. Anyone have a link to a write-up on this, or some instructions?
Old 03-07-2007, 03:25 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

1: Remove old alternator.

2: Remove old alternator wiring harness.

3: Install heavy gauge (I use 4 gauge) wire to back of new alternator.

4: Install new alternator.

5: Connect wire from alternator to battery side of solenoid (circuit breaker is good idea. Fuse is bad idea).

6: Disconnect ALT lightbulb in dash (it's annoying).

7: Burn tires.

Different alternators will require different RPM's before actually firing up the charging circuit. Mine will generally not charge until 1500 RPM (engine) on startup, and lower the output below 1200 RPM.

Quick Reply: One-wire Alternator conversion