Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

old car daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 03:31 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Default RE: old car daily driver?

Only since 2003 has there been a car newer than 1979 used as my daily driver. From 97 to 03 it was a 70 GTO or a 76 GMC shortbox. I have been driving since 85 (legally) and the newest vehicle I have is a 98 with 130k miles on it. Thre have been times where the car was broke and I needed it to get to work the next day, so I stayed up and fixed it that night. Its part of the deal. Cheap ride, as in no payments, low insurance, low taxes and plates, are offset by burning a little more gas and needing repairs a little more often.

The best part is the repairs can be done by anyone with a few hand tools and some basic knowledge. No need to be an ASE Certified Master Tech to fix a 72 Mustang, but yeah it does help.. lol.. If you are the kind of person who will call a car a lemon because the dome light stops working about the same time there is a rattle in the dash, and the door handle catches just a bit or doesnt shut quite right every time, then a classic isnt for you.

If you can fix that stuff, or just deal with some of it and still enjoy the car, then a classic will be just fine for you.. and they are a great learning platform...
Old 03-06-2007, 03:59 PM
mackstang99
2nd Gear Member

how do classics run insurance wise? Right now i have an 84 olds on the insurance, and its a little more than my v6 will the fact that its a 2 door muscle car increase insurance? and what is the average gas mileage on a 72 or 73 302?( i think its a 302, not real sure on my classic car info)
Old 03-06-2007, 04:28 PM
Daytona Yellow 69 Z
1st Gear Member

I drive a 69 Camaro evrey day rain or shine. There is nothing like like driving a classic muscle car. I have owned many classics over the years and most of them I deamed too nice nice for daily use. Three years ago I desided I wanteda classic to drive and enjoy everyday so I built my Blue 69 Camaro. The car has a 350 / 4 speed, PS, PDB & a 3.31 Positrac rearend. I have probably enjoyed this the car the most as it goes everywhere. I get 17 mpg on the highway and about 11 - 12 mpg in town.

It is alot of fun, andas Thumpin 455 said as long as you have a little auto knowledge you can fix anything that may pop up. I can tell you that when I go pick my daughter up from school, or go to the mall for a movieI am the only car like it there, No cookie cutter SUV for me
Old 03-06-2007, 05:16 PM
grruminator78
4th Gear Member

my insurance on the stang is waaay less than on the durango now it's a driver and not a show car so I have it insured for the NADA value (I think like 7000 or so)
I pay 300 for the SLT Hemi Durango and 125 for the stang. I am also Male, over 25, and an NCO (it matters when dealing with USAA) so yeah insuring your classic isn't too bad if you ask me.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:02 PM
Mustang Boy
3rd Gear Member

i drive a 1966 mustang everyday rain or shine(even though im a little nervous when its raining) and i must say its fun knowing that a car i drive is one most people dont even get to see on a weekly basis much less than drive it daily

Old 03-06-2007, 06:19 PM
Lumbergh
2nd Gear Member

Way back in the early 90'swhen I was in college, my daily driver was a 58 Chevy Fleetside truck. Dring that time, I had to rely on my bike twice, once when the water pump went, quick and easy repair, and once when a short in my steering column burned out the horn relay, just disconnected the horn and it was good to go. Inthe case of the horn shorting out, I could have driven itimmediately, but Ididn't see any need to take a chance on starting an electrical fire and ruining the truck. The classics require more maintenance and, overall, will require more repairs than a modern car, if you want to keep everything perfect. However, the classics are less likely to have a complete failure andleave you stranded, IMO, and they are easier to fix.

I can't remember what the cost of my insurance was for the truck back in college when it was still a daily driver, but nowas a second car, the basic insurance for the truck is around $120 per year. To insure it as a classic with an agreed upon value of $15,000 would run me around $500 per year with no mileage limit.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:36 PM
Galactusz
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: OhioMachIRunner69

72-73 will work just fine. Anything 68 and older gets harder and harder to drive daily. I had a 68 I used as a daily driver. My 69 I have now is much more comfortable to drive. Good luck with gas prices
That's not necessarily true, it's about how you maintain your ride (and what goodies you have in it), not the age of the ride itself, besides, you are only talking about a four year gap between 64 and 68.

Everything in my 64 1/2 is new (except the paint/rebuilt engine), that sucker is as good a daily driver as any ol' school car out there.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:22 PM
easttennmotors
2nd Gear Member

im 20 and male pay state farm 80 a month for full coverage on my 69 sportsroof, and 120 for full on my durango slt 4.7 in tennessee
Old 03-07-2007, 11:18 AM
grruminator78
4th Gear Member

I need to move to tenn and get state farm
Old 03-07-2007, 01:17 PM
blue66coupe
1st Gear Member

"If you are the kind of person who will call a car a lemon because the dome light stops working about the same time there is a rattle in the dash, and the door handle catches just a bit or doesnt shut quite right every time, then a classic isnt for you." - Thumpin455-

I think what Thumpin says is the key. Older cars (in general) need more TLC, but, the trade-off is that they are MUCH easier to work on. Just open the hood on any new car and look at all the electronic crap in there- then open up the Mustang hood. Even with a V8, there's plenty of room to get to things, and you can name every part and what it does. Sweet simplicity. Try doing that on a new car...

Quick Reply: old car daily driver?