Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

VIN history report

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 01:55 PM
promoboy

Default VIN history report

Does anyone know of a way to get a vehicle history report on a classic mustang? Carfax and others seem to only provide history for cars newer than 81. They won't even accept an 11 character VIN. Just wondering if there was another route. I'd be interested in finding out who some of the previous owners are.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:00 PM
03Mach69Mach
1st Gear Member

Default RE: VIN history report

You can contact Ford Customer Service and request a '999' report on your vehicle with a VIN number. This will generate a letter from Ford with the information about your car (i.e. production date, options, etc.) but no information about owners. In this day and age of identity theft, I doubt that anyone will give you a name and address for a previous owner out of privacy violation concerns. You might be able to go to your DMV or DOT and request a title search that might help. Ford Customer Service is (800) 392-3673.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:05 PM
66GTKFB
5th Gear Member

Marti Auto Works has all the Ford data for your car. Go towww.martiauto,comThey have several options and formats. I've seen some of their documentation output as it looks accurate and good. Costs about $30 - $35 for the basic report. This is for 1967 and later cars.
Jim
Old 04-13-2007, 02:31 PM
fast65
5th Gear Member

I'm in the process of getting a report from Ford for my '65. I hope it has what I'm expecting it to when it comes.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:41 PM
66GTKFB
5th Gear Member

Ford will send you a breakdown of your VIN number which you can get from almost any restoration book, vendor catalog or even a CD. Ford has no data associated with 66 and earlier cars in any case. It was destroyed as a cost saving action.
Jim
Old 04-13-2007, 03:25 PM
fast65
5th Gear Member

How do I find the options that my car came with then?
Old 04-13-2007, 03:40 PM
Cogtx
3rd Gear Member

+1 on going to your state DMV and request a title history. I did one for Texas and California on my son's 67 coupe. Cali had no info but Texas had title history and all previous owners. Check out your states DMV site for the forms to complete. Minimal charge...Texas was like $6 and got the info in about 3 weeks....luck to you..
Old 04-13-2007, 04:48 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: fast65

From your VIN and wawrranty numbers. Go out to the car and write those down then post them here. We can tell you most of what came with the car from the factory.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:30 PM
66GTKFB
5th Gear Member

The VINwill tell you only the year, assembly plant, body type, engine and aproximate assembly date. The door data tag will tell you, if it has the same VIN number, the trim type, the original exterior color, the interior color, scheduled build date, destination and possibly if it was a special order, real axle ratio and transmission. It will not tell you options such as radio, console, air conditioning, GT package, suspension, wheels, tires and the list goes on. There is only one possible source and that is the window sticker but that stickerwould have accompanied the car and in truth, they were removed and tossed by the first owner.
Jim
Old 04-13-2007, 07:32 PM
fast65
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

ORIGINAL: fast65

From your VIN and wawrranty numbers. Go out to the car and write those down then post them here. We can tell you most of what came with the car from the factory.
I've already decoded the VIN, but what's the warranty number? I just want to make sure that it's a factory GT, it's got the front discs, 4 speed, it was originally an A code 289, exhaust out the rear valance and some others things. I'm really sure that it is a factory GT, but I just want to see it on paper, plus it would be sweet to know what options my car came with.

Quick Reply: VIN history report