Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Engine Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 11:31 PM
inyaazz

Default Engine Rebuild

Hello once again (my second post). Question for all the folks here. What do you consider an engine rebuild consist of. I have been calling around and I keep hearing the same things like we replace the belts and hoses and that is pretty much it. The varying prices for this work is from 1800 to 3200 dollars. Can you please tell me what an engine rebuild should consist of. I was thinking that the gaskets get replaced, pistons are worked things like that. Am I wrong. Thanks.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:28 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Engine Rebuild

The engine must be torn down. Replace the rings, bearings.....Do a valve job on the heads, replace all gaskets. Overhaul the carb, replace the fuel and oil pumps....
Old 11-29-2004, 12:01 PM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

For that kind of money, you might consider a crate engine...
Old 11-29-2004, 12:04 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

I'd expect the bill to be around 2k for a typical overhaul - that includes parts and labor - pretty much driving in and having what Soaring said done.
Old 11-29-2004, 12:08 PM
inyaazz

Now that sounds more like it. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-29-2004, 01:32 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mdvaldosta

I'd expect the bill to be around 2k for a typical overhaul - that includes parts and labor - pretty much driving in and having what Soaring said done.
Where the heck do you live?

If you expect to drive your car and pay to have them pull the motor out, tear it down, rebuild it to stock specs, and then re-install it in the car....can I get some of what you are smoking?

For around $2000 you can get a good job stock rebuild on a motor. But that means you pull the motor and take it to the machine shop...they give it back done, and you put it back in the car.
Old 11-29-2004, 01:57 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

labor on engine replacement for a carb'd car is about $550 most places, parts and labor on a rebuild is 1200 - 1500

So what you smokin? Call around. I'm in the business dood. about 450 for pistons, bearings, rings, pump, stock cam another 75 for gasket set, 450 for machine work and a few hundred for engine assembly + 8~ hours labor on the swap @ 65 - 75 per book hour
Old 11-29-2004, 05:30 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

Well...like I said...where do you live?

I have lived in:

Pleasanton, CA
Livermore, CA
Langhorne, PA
State College, PA
Rising Sun, MD
North East, MD

And there isn't ANYWHERE within driving distance of home base (defined as about 1 hour each way) at any of these places that would get near that price. Tell me where your shop is and you can have all my future business if you are close enough

Definitely not trying to start an argument but the closest I have come to that magic 2k number was when I lived in State College and Rising Sun...both are back water middle of nowhere places that have 1 or 2 shops even capable of doing the job within an hour. All the others are in or near urban sprawl so rates are sky high.
Old 11-30-2004, 02:16 PM
inyaazz

Actually I live in San Diego and have called a number of places and the prices are in between 1400 and 1900 dollars. This price does include taking the engine out and putting in back in. For once there is something cheaper here than in other parts of the country.
Old 11-30-2004, 04:17 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

That's good news.

Just make sure you check them out with the Better business and/or by talking to previous customers.

Quick Reply: Engine Rebuild