Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Coolant Mixture debate/question

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 07:59 PM
65Sickster

Default RE: Coolant Mixture debate/question

Thanks for all your help! Much appreciated. I think I'll try the 50/50 and only add water to top it off since i live in LA. Thanks again!
Old 04-17-2007, 08:21 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Brandontyler65

ORIGINAL: JMD

+1 on the 50/50 or close.

What kills me is that coolant manufactures are now selling "pre-mixed" antifreze, that way we get to spend our money on 1/2 a bottle of water!

i don't see anything wrong with that at all i think that it is great for keeping it around to top it off and if you think you are getting ripped off cause its mixed with distilled well then i guess you have a gripe with several other companies aswell such as pepsi co and coca cola cause their products contain mostly water and as far as price goes it is $6 a gallon at my store vs 11 for the concentrate so how is it more expensive its almost half and they take the work out of it you just pour and go but hey i guess you have cola syrup and co2 tanks at home for your soda, you shoud buy crude oil and refine it too while you are at it since you are getting ripped and let me know how that works out for you
You are talking apples and oranges,,,,, or as it would be antifreze and pepsi,,, (or maybe I should just drink the antifreze )

As far as the price goes, if a person needs four gallons to fill a cooling system he could buy 4 gallons of diluted for antifreze for $24.00, or 2 gallons of undiluted for $22.00. Yea it is only a buck or two, but I think it sucks on principle, makes me feel like the marketers are mocking me or somthing, "ok, get this, we will only fill the the jug halfway with antifreze, and the rest with watter, and some sucker will but it for 60% of the cost of a complete jug.

I never have used distilled water in a radiator, and probably never will, so the convenience issue is moot to me. (Kind of like thecomedian who makes fun of the peanut butter and jelly in the same jar, "I would like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, but I have to open two jars,,, nah,, it's too hard."

I usually top off with antifreze when I am at home. If I am somewhere else I usually top off with water, so thing kind of even themselvs out for me.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:23 PM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

well ya if you are topping off its good but i agree when you refil the whole system that it is cheaper to get the concentrate
Old 04-17-2007, 08:45 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

JMD, if you lived where the ground water has a lot of alkali and minerals in it you would be using distilled water or your radiator would need to be replaced in a matter of a few years. You must live in a part of the country where the water right out of the ground is pretty pure.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:08 PM
Lumbergh
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

The ratio you use depends on what part of the country you are living in. If I lived in the desert of Arizona I would be running a 30% antifreeze to 70% water simply because water cools better than antifreeze. You do have to run some antifreeze for reasons already cited. If I live in a moderate climate will run a 50/50 mixture just as most folks do. But if I live in a very cold climate I would run more antifreeze than water to get the freezing point as low as I could.
Running more antifreeze than water won't depress the freezing point once you pass the optimal mixture which occurs at, I believe, 57% antifreeze ( it might be slightly more or less, it's been a while). Adding any more antifreeze beyond this point will actually raise the freezing point. I agree thatincreasing theehtylene glycol in the cooling system reduces the capacity of the system to cool the engine. However, since most of us don't change our coolant with the seasons, the 50:50 mixture offers pretty good protection against freezing without sacrificing that much in terms of cooling ability, ~15% versus pure water at an operating temperature of 160 F.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:18 PM
mikethebike
3rd Gear Member

If you run straight water and you have any aluminum you are going to ruin the aluminum through electrolysis.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:26 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Yeah Lumbergh I didn't remember the maximum amount of antifreeze you can use before you start going the opposite direction. 57% sounds about right. Like I said, most folks will be using a 50/50 mixture. The heat in the Arizona desert can get wicked high into the 100's and absolutely no humidity and very little air. If I lived there, I would be changing my fluid twice a year.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:28 PM
longlive289s
3rd Gear Member

or u can just get prestone.....makes ppl like me lazy, already pre mixed 50/50
Old 04-17-2007, 09:49 PM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: longlive289s

or u can just get prestone.....makes ppl like me lazy, already pre mixed 50/50
thats what we were talking about
Old 04-17-2007, 09:49 PM
67SuperSnake
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mikethebike

If you run straight water and you have any aluminum you are going to ruin the aluminum through electrolysis.
I had heard that you have to run the correct type of anti freeze (for aluminum). Anybody else heard of this?What type would that be?

Quick Reply: Coolant Mixture debate/question