MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   Classic Mustangs (Tech) (https://mustangforums.com/forum/classic-mustangs-tech-16/)
-   -   Whats the trick to removing the headlight switch, wiper switch, ignition switch, etc (https://mustangforums.com/forum/classic-mustangs-tech/298747-whats-the-trick-to-removing-the-headlight-switch-wiper-switch-ignition-switch-etc.html)

65Raven65 06-03-2007 01:35 AM

Whats the trick to removing the headlight switch, wiper switch, ignition switch, etc

I'm stripping my '65 to get it ready for sodablasting. I got everything out from under the dash (wiring, pedals, wiper assymbly, heater components, glove box, etc) but cant seem to figure out the trick to get the headlight switch, wiper switch, ignition switch, and the lighter out.

What am I missing?

Thanks

[align=left] [/align]

jaw66 06-03-2007 01:38 AM

RE: Whats the trick to removing the headlight switch, wiper switch, ignition switch, etc

The bezel on the outside of the dash should unscrew or maybe a retaining nut on the backside. It has been awhile since I have taken one apart..

colostang 06-03-2007 01:40 AM

RE: Whats the trick to removing the headlight switch, wiper switch, ignition switch, etc

The wiper knob is held on with a tiny hex head set screw in the bottom of the knob. After removing the knob you can use a flat head screw driver to rotate the entire bezel and unscrew it (if it isn't too tight, if so you may need a specialty tool to grip and turn it). The lighter is held on buy a bracket from behind and you can unscrew it in the same way (again, hopefully it isn't too tight for the old flat head). I assume the headlight is same as wiper but I have never removed mine. The ignition would be a question for someone else.

Hope that helps a little.

65Raven65 06-03-2007 02:33 AM

Thanks. I'll give it a try tomorrow.
[align=left] [/align]

66GTKFB 06-03-2007 02:34 AM

Ignition switch:
1.Instrument cluster needs to be out.
To remove the key part - you need a paper clip and the key in the slot.
2. Push in on the paper clip size hole and turn to the left - remove.
3. Pull the entire assembly forward and twist the switch part clockwise to remove it from the bezel. There's a 'cup' with a hole in it and a spring at the switch.
4. It should be out.
Jim

65Raven65 06-03-2007 02:36 AM

The instruments are out. Thanks also, 66GTKFB, I'll try that tomorrow too.
[align=left] [/align]

hity645 06-03-2007 03:53 AM

I got to:

Sawzall

Soaring 06-03-2007 09:39 AM

ORIGINAL: 66GTKFB

Ignition switch:
1.Instrument cluster needs to be out.
To remove the key part - you need a paper clip and the key in the slot.
2. Push in on the paper clip size hole and turn to the left - remove.
3. Pull the entire assembly forward and twist the switch part clockwise to remove it from the bezel. There's a 'cup' with a hole in it and a spring at the switch.
4. It should be out.
Jim
"2. Push in on the paper clip size hole and turn to the left - remove."

Say what?? That doesn't even make sense Jim. You turn the key to the accessory position, then insert the paper clip into the hole and pop out the cylinder.

ponyx2 06-03-2007 10:15 AM

The paperclip in the hole only removes the lock cylinder, the switch itself is held on by the bezel, which unscrews.

66 Restomod 06-03-2007 10:31 AM

ORIGINAL: Soaring

.... You turn the key to the accessory position, then insert the paper clip into the hole and pop out the cylinder.

Between inserting the paper clip into the hole and popping out the cylinder, you need to turn the key which is already inserted and at the Acc position further to the left, which lets the cylinder unseat from the switch.

Somebody needs to make a short video on how to remove each of these bezels and switches and post on YouTube once and for all....