Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Pedal to floor= bad performance? please diagnose

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 09:12 PM
restomod87
2nd Gear Member

Default Pedal to floor= bad performance? please diagnose

Hey fellas, As the week has gone by i'm learning more and more about my new mustang, but along with all the good, comes the questions when you run into something out of the ordinary...Here is my Question:

My car is cranking and driving wonderfully at the moment, however I cannot and have not pushed my car performance wise because when i push the pedal to the floor (or give it alot of gas) it will almost hickup and seemingly choke a little. I am not very good with cars, and i'm going to see if my dad can take a look at it tonight, but i wanted to see if anyone has experienced this. My car was originally a 289 C code v2 carb. It has since been redone, and is now a 289 v4 carb with headers and holly. What could be the problem? Would the stock fuel pump be the cause of this? I'm not sure if it's a air issue or a fuel issue...thanks for all the other help i've recieved with other small things concerning my car and i hope this is an easy fix as well! I appriciate my car as a classic, and am not one to do burnouts or drive my car very hard, but periodically I would at least like to be able to gun it and show what my car can do without this choking out/ hickup thing.

P.S. the car doesn't choke completely out, it's just like it's not getting enough fuel for the engine to run at that speed and sputs and is not as intended...thanks
Old 06-03-2007, 09:28 PM
maverick75
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Pedal to floor= bad performance? please diagnose

check the fuel pressure going to the carb....it might be too low

PS as long as the tires are spinning burnouts dont hurt
Old 06-03-2007, 09:55 PM
connor90
4th Gear Member

mine used to do that...it was running too rich so i messed with the air/fuel mixture and it doesnt do that anymore.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:05 PM
bronco1
1st Gear Member

Hi. Connor90 is close. What you are describing is usually caused by too much fuel being dumped in the intake. If you purchased a 4v Holley off the shelf and threw it on the intake, you may need to do some tweaking. You can mess with the air/fuel adjustments, just remember where you started when you tweak them...i.e. count the turns clockwise and counter-clockwise...so that you can move them back to original. My guess is that your carb jets are too big, and you probably need to size them down a bit. Check Holley's website...
Old 06-03-2007, 10:05 PM
JamesW

Patrick,
Refer back to the previous thread on your car. Take the time to tune it up properly, rather than trying to figure out each symptom. It's much easier to troubleshoot if you know the condition you are starting from.

Take some time over the next few weeks to methodically go through and do the recommended inspections and tune ups. You'll be much happier with the performance and roadworthiness.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:15 PM
restomod87
2nd Gear Member

James thanks alot for that, actually i took your list you made for me and turned it into a excel spreadsheet and am using it as a checklist! Every saturday from now on is Mustang day for me and i'm gonna get under the hood and get it good working order ...thanks alot for all the quick replies...I believe it's due to too much fuel being dumped into the carb, and i'll def. be taking a look. I have a friend thats got a charger and a Nova and is very good with classics and carb rebuilds, so saturday i plan on learning alot, and figuring alot of this out!
Old 06-03-2007, 10:24 PM
JamesW

From the sound of this and your other issue, the carb is the first place to look. As they age, holley's tend to have float seat and idle jet problems.

A word of advice tho. Once you start down the road of rebuilding the carb... be patient. Old Carburators can be finiky and cantankorus. They can really test your sanity and the $240 for a shiney new Holley 600 may not be looking so bad here in about 2 months.

And ... NOTHING runs better than a brand new carb! (except efi )
Old 06-03-2007, 10:33 PM
restomod87
2nd Gear Member

Would that be your recomendation? instead of the headaches hehe...well i'll work away at your list of tune up stuff and as my bank account builds i'll def. think about it How's the adjustment on a new carb after install? just remove and replace, not much too it? It's something i've never done. thanks james
Old 06-03-2007, 10:40 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

My recommendation would be to throw that friggin Holley in the trash and put on a decent carb like a motorcraft that these engines were designed to run with. They certainly were not designed to run with a freak EFI system.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:42 PM
restomod87
2nd Gear Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Holle...22922124QQrdZ1

http://cgi.ebay.com/1850-600-HOLLEY-...QQcmdZViewItem

Seems like these will be easy to locate if this is my best option in a couple months...I def. wanta be able to cut lose and let the stang scream every once in a while

Quick Reply: Pedal to floor= bad performance? please diagnose