Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

New Edelbrock Carb!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 12:09 PM
UBY289
2nd Gear Member

Default New Edelbrock Carb!!

With much deliberation of all the information on this forum about Carbs I boughta 600 CFM, manual choke Edelbrock No. 1405 Iput it on my 67, 289 A code.. It hooked up very easy .With afew adjustments, one being the secondaries where sticking open do to a bent spring lever that must of happen during shipping. The car runs amazing, no trouble starting hot or cold. The car churpsthe tires from 1 to 2 and when I got my foot in it. I am very pleased with it so far .Just want to let the forum know it really help me in make a desicion.Thanks to all for the input. Rob
Old 06-11-2007, 01:03 PM
solidGas
1st Gear Member

Default RE: New Edelbrock Carb!!

Did you put it on the stock intake, and do you still have the stock cam? I need to either refurbish my Motorcraft or get a new carb, but was thinking of doing the intake and carb at the same time. Glad to hear the car is running good.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:55 PM
UBY289
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: solidGas

Did you put it on the stock intake, and do you still have the stock cam? I need to either refurbish my Motorcraft or get a new carb, but was thinking of doing the intake and carb at the same time. Glad to hear the car is running good.
Everything is stock I think, I didn't rebuild the motor so I am not sure about the Cam..I even install the Carb to the spacer plate with the PCV connection.I am really impressed the way it runs.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:08 PM
Smothers
3rd Gear Member

I have the same carb and am happy with it too. Congrats
Old 06-11-2007, 06:26 PM
restomod87
2nd Gear Member

Could you tell me the reason you replaced it? I am having problems with my carb running too rich and therefore if i give it alot of gas it hickups and even bogs itself down enough to stall it when i accelerate quickly...I'm thinking of getting a new carb soon as well, i hope this is the cause of my problems...

EDIT: oh P.S. it also is having a little problem starting up in the morning
Old 06-11-2007, 06:31 PM
gothand
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: restomod87

Could you tell me the reason you replaced it? I am having problems with my carb running too rich and therefore if i give it alot of gas it hickups and even bogs itself down enough to stall it when i accelerate quickly...I'm thinking of getting a new carb soon as well, i hope this is the cause of my problems...

Take this in the positive spirit that it is intended, but instead of "hoping" a new carb will fix your problems (it may or may not), I would positively diagnose the issue or take it to a qualified mechanic who can. Unfortunately, it is increasingly difficult to find a shop that knows their way around a carburetor, but it is money well spent. I say this based on personal experience. [:'(]
Old 06-11-2007, 06:37 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Yeah, your problem may or may not be the carb, but it sure sounds like it is. Which carb is it? If it's a Motorcraft, then I would suggest you rebuild it for the mear reason that it is a bullet proof carb.
And, unless you have a lot of mods on your engine, you don't need a 600 cfm carb.
If you look down into your carb, you will see the venturi (round hole). That hole is a certain diameter depending how much air you want to draw into that engine. If you have a stock engine and you put on a carb that has too big of a venture you will be drawing in more air than is needed. You will need more gas to mix with that extra air, and you will need a hotter spark to burn that extra gas and air mixture that your engine was not designed to burn. Just throwing on a new and bigger carburetor is certainly not the answer.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:49 PM
Mustang owners Dad

UBY289,
My son just resently installed a 1405 also but his emits a lot of gas fumes. Does yours?
Old 02-18-2008, 09:37 PM
JapanGT
2nd Gear Member

I agree with Gothand and Soaring. Fix the carb you have. Should not be expensive. Go with an aftermarket carb if you are doing
mods to increase power ( and typically fuel consumption ). I would not change the carb, if I did not have some headers to free
the extra gasses at the other end. Personally I like working on carbs, as its one piece you can take off the car, find a clean work area,
and see how it works. If you have a carb overhaul kit it can be a fun afternoon job.

Jav
Old 02-19-2008, 07:34 AM
UBY289
2nd Gear Member

No there is no smell of gas. Hope you can figurethis out . You got alot of suggestions. I replaced an oldHolleythat was in bad shape beyond repair,someone screwed it up before me,the secondaries would stick open sometime abit or wide open after I stopped. Have you called Edelbrock help tech line.
ORIGINAL: Mustang owners Dad

UBY289,
My son just resently installed a 1405 also but his emits a lot of gas fumes. Does yours?