Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Strange Starting Problem on my '66

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 04:44 PM
Cajun66

Default Strange Starting Problem on my '66

I need some help. I am just knowledgable about cars to be dangerous. Here's my situation. I have a '66 Coupe with a 289 that sat for several years. I was having problems with the fuel, so I had the gas tank. pump, fuel lines and carb replaced. It ran for a few weeks, then wouldn't start. I was also having some problems with a dead cylinder while it was running, so I had the engine rebuilt. It ran great for about 1 week. Then it wouldn't start. The engine will turn over, just no fire. Someone suggested that I replace the coil. I did and it started right up. It ran for a little over a week and then wouldn't start. I replaced the distributor cap, rotor, and plug wires and it started right up. After about a week, it won't start again. At this point, I am looking at replacing the starter relay and/or the wiring from the relay to the starter and coil. It seems to be getting enough power, it turns over, it just won't fire. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:38 PM
rwcstang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Strange Starting Problem on my '66

will it could be your starter, mine was doing that for a while once i changed the starter it worked fine. change the starter with a new one that could be ur problem
Old 01-05-2005, 02:24 AM
Cajun66

Thanks for the idea, I'll check the starter tomorrow. The starter relay switch didn't do any good. I never considered the starter since the engine is actually turning over. If there are any other areas to check, please let me know.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:49 AM
Mustangood
2nd Gear Member

Would it not start when you would try to start it again after it had been running? Cuz I had a problem with the starter not starting once it heated up because of heat from the engine. The starter just didnt work when it was hot, so I replaced it and it worked fine. This may seem like a dumb question, but what about your battery?
Old 01-05-2005, 09:39 AM
Cajun66

It would start fine when it was warm. I would drive it one day and come out the next and no fire. In fact, one time I just let it sit for about a week and it fired right up. I thought about the battery, but the engine is turning over and I tried jumping it last night, still no fire. I am going to remove the starter tonight and have it checked out. If that doesn't work, I am waiting for a shop manual to come in this weekend and will start testing and replacing wires.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:21 PM
horseshoeing
3rd Gear Member

Could it be a short (open) to the coil? See if you are getting power to the coil.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:24 PM
Cajun66

To check that would I put a voltmeter on positive and negative posts on the coil? If so, what kind of voltage should I be looking for? Thanks.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:46 PM
67coupe
2nd Gear Member

A condensor is cheap, replace it. I have had guys tune up a car then start having trouble. They come in with new carbs, coils, wires etc and the condensor be all that's wrong. The failure rate with new ones is worse than the chance of the old one going bad so I never change them anymore.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:01 AM
Cajun66

I may try a condenser. I put a voltmeter on the system last night. I'm not sure what I should have gotten for readings, but if I put the meter on the positive post of the coil(ignition in the on position) with the wire that runs from the negative post on the coil to the distributor connected I got a reading of 6.51. If I disconnected the wire from the negative post, I would get 12.35. I'm thinking Points, condenser, or something with the distributor.
Old 01-08-2005, 01:56 AM
Cajun66

Ok, here is an update on my progress. The starter is ok. I replaced the condenser an it started. But after running for about 5 minutes, it died and wouldn't start again. I double checked the voltage going to the coil and I am getting 12.5 volts. But there is no fire from the coil or the plug wires. Even though the coil is new (bought in October), I was going to replace it again. At the parts store they noticed that the coil needs an external resistor and are ordering me one. The catch is I don't know where it goes. I can't seem to locate one on the existing wiring and I don't have any idea where I should install it. Please help.

Quick Reply: Strange Starting Problem on my '66