Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Fuelling up without spilling?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 06:01 PM
Epic2112
1st Gear Member

Default Fuelling up without spilling?

Now that my car is finally roadworthy, I've remembered how hard itis to fuel up without spilling all over the back of the car. Am I missing a piece, or is there a technique I don't know about?
Old 06-20-2007, 06:13 PM
solidGas
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Fuelling up without spilling?

I just manually do it, I don't put on the clip for free flow. I also put my key to "GEN" or "ALT" which ever year you have and watch the fuel gauge through the back window. I also only put in about 12 gallons each time, and that gets me over the F line and no spills. I do get distracted though because there is always someone who wants to talk about my car, so mistakes happen from time to time.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:18 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Make sure the handle snout is in the filler tube all the way and that it is sideways. Go one click after the first click and stop. Don't try to round it out to the nearest dollar. If it clicks at $26.32, then that is what you pay.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:38 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

ORIGINAL: Soaring

Make sure the handle snout is in the filler tube all the way and that it is sideways. Go one click after the first click and stop. Don't try to round it out to the nearest dollar. If it clicks at $26.32, then that is what you pay.
+1
Old 06-20-2007, 08:03 PM
restomod87
2nd Gear Member

No real tricks here, just keep it sideways, and don't get to busy talkin to the girls that drive by and want to get a ride ;-)
Old 06-20-2007, 09:00 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Someone really needs to fabricate a tube with a better angle...
Old 06-20-2007, 09:07 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Not sure it is the angle, I believe it is the length. The tank is square so is flat at the top. Once it is full the only other area for the gas to go is the tube which is relatively short compared to other cars. The reason why I say stop after the second click, is that the first click indicates it is full but with air trapped in it. Once the air dissipates, another click of maybe a 1/4 gallon is needed to fill up the tank but not the filler tube. I have never spilled any gas using this method.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:08 PM
Mustangdemon67
4th Gear Member

u just keep a rag in my trunk so when i gas up i put it on my bumper and if any drips the rag absorbs it. but the thing is if i spill alot the rag smells so bad and i put it back in the trunk, the fumes get into the car and i get a headache [&o]
Old 06-20-2007, 09:12 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Mustangdemon67

u just keep a rag in my trunk so when i gas up i put it on my bumper and if any drips the rag absorbs it. but the thing is if i spill alot the rag smells so bad and i put it back in the trunk, the fumes get into the car and i get a headache [&o]
Bad idea. Can you spell KABOOM! Never ever have a gas soaked rag in your enclosed trunk. If you do happen to spill some gas on the bumper, use the windshield wiper water scraper to wash it down, then hit it with the paper towels that most stations furnish.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:20 PM
royal68
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: solidGas

I just manually do it, I don't put on the clip for free flow. I also put my key to "GEN" or "ALT" which ever year you have and watch the fuel gauge through the back window. I also only put in about 12 gallons each time, and that gets me over the F line and no spills. I do get distracted though because there is always someone who wants to talk about my car, so mistakes happen from time to time.
bingo

plus if I spill any, I just pee on it to wash it off

Quick Reply: Fuelling up without spilling?