Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Correct Refinishing Steps?

Old 07-02-2007, 04:26 PM
1965 HT Owner

Default Correct Refinishing Steps?

I just inherited a classic 1965 Mustang hard top that's in slightly rough shape. I pretty much stripped the interior, bumpers, and a few other items. I would like to start re-finishing the car. I used to refinish old sport fishing boats so I am pretty familar with the general process. However, when dealing with metal, I want to make sure I have it right. I plan on working on one piece at a time (hood, quarter panel, trunk, roof, etc).

I started sanding down the hood with a orbital sander with 80 grit. It some spots, I will be sanding down to bare metal. What is the process to treat the metal? I recall something about treating any previous rust areas first with some form of a liquid chemical. After that, I assume it would be primed but not sure what is the best type of primer to use.

Thank you.

Old 07-02-2007, 05:11 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Correct Refinishing Steps?

If you still have rust issues but not holes, you need to hit those areas with either POR 15 or some other rust inhibitor. Use an acrylic laquer primer on all surfaces. Some guys use self etching and others use something else. It is a wise thing if you take off the doors, hood and trunk lid to work on them separately.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:21 PM
highhilleer
2nd Gear Member

For the best auto paint forum on the web go to
http://www.autobodystore.com/cgi-bin/config.pl?index

Under the classroom page there is a basics of basics section that will have more information than you'll ever need. In a nut shell, treat surface rust areas with Picklex then apply an epoxy primer. The epoxy primer has enough moisture resistance to keep the rust at bay while you work on the rest of the car. You will need to scuff it and reapply before the build primer/color/clear coats.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:12 PM
1965 HT Owner

Is this POR 15 something that can be bought locally or something I would need to buy online? Any store suggestions? Thanks.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:16 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

It's not something I could find at any local stores. So, I ordered online. Without a doubt, it is the best rust inhibitor and preventive chemical on the market.
http://www.stoprust.net/?gclid=CM_Hv...FSnKggodoRgIpA
Old 07-02-2007, 07:21 PM
highhilleer
2nd Gear Member

Mail order as far as I know
http://www.por15.com/
is the home page for the product. You will see it is mostly intended for "hidden" areas and rusty metal. If you go to the autobodystore link I gave above, join and search for POR 15 you will see you have many other options to research. The research I did lead me AWAY FROM POR 15.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:29 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: highhilleer

Mail order as far as I know
http://www.por15.com/
is the home page for the product. You will see it is mostly intended for "hidden" areas and rusty metal. If you go to the autobodystore link I gave above, join and search for POR 15 you will see you have many other options to research. The research I did lead me AWAY FROM POR 15.
That's surprising to hear John. What was the catalyst that lead you away?
Old 07-03-2007, 09:51 AM
highhilleer
2nd Gear Member

Adhesion problems, esp w/ non-rusted metal
Brittleness
Durability test on the autobodystore site
Not intended for top coating w/autotive finishes (POR has a new "tie" coat now to resolve this)
Mess if it gets on you
Cost

Note cost is last, if the independent evals did not show a better product (IMHO), I would have used POR. There are many who have successfully applied the product, so I do not want to get into an ugly debate. My point is there are other good products. I like to see people do their own research. After all, they need to live with the results.

I used Zero Rust and am pleased.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:56 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

por15 is great i used it on my floor pan inside and out even pulled my cowl cover off and po15 the normal rust spot.i wouldnt use it on something youll see everyday.