Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Resetting Speedometer???

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 11:07 AM
dstanger
2nd Gear Member

Default Resetting Speedometer???

I hope I'm not starting a war here but I have a 66 Fastback that I've had for almost 15 years. I'll probably never get rid of her, probably pass her on when I pass on <grin>. Anyway, I'm in the finishing stages of a new engine build, had the tranny reworked and completely overhauled my entire engine compartment... and my questions are:
If I'm not worried about reselling the car, why/why not reset the speedometer mileage back to all zeros? Also, on a 66 with a C4 auto, has anyone done this and can this be accomplished easily? I've always heard you can put a drill on the speedo cable but that sounds like a lot of work.

Now, before this takes a bad start, A) I've had the car for a long time, B) I have NO plans on selling her, EVER, C) I've got classic insurance on it, they don't seem to care how many miles are on the car, and D) I KNOW the mileage on the odometer now is totally incorrect (the supposed "original" 289 engine in the car when I bought it turned out to be stamped as a '69 302 - it was somewhat embarrasing when I broke it all down for the machine shop and the guy told me I had a 302 crank, rods, etc).
I can't really see any downside to turning the odometer to zero's, any thoughts? Any ideas on how to do this?
D
Old 08-08-2007, 11:25 AM
66GTKFB
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Resetting Speedometer???

1. The ethics in doing it.
2. The time to do it.
3. The cost to do it.
4. Devote the time to something more constructive on your car.
Jim
Old 08-08-2007, 11:27 AM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

I know....install a new gauge cluster than you have a new speedometer.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:41 AM
65StangFB
2nd Gear Member

I could understand why you may want to do it. To address the 4 issues listed above.
1) Ethics: This is only if you are attempting to cheat the system or someone. If you have a completely rebuilt engine and transmission in it their is not any ethics involved. Whats the difference in buying a new cluster or used one?
2)Time: You could do it in a matter of 10 minutes if the cluster is out of the car. You could do that sitting on the toilet :-)
3) Cost: $0, nothing, zilch
4) This one may be true, but if you are at that point now and the cluster is out. Take the time now IF you are going to do it.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:47 AM
dstanger
2nd Gear Member

Thanks, I really thought I cleared the ethics part by explaining that this car is a family heirloom now - certainly no cheating involved... kinda gasped when I saw that word to be honest....

So, if I take the guages out, any suggestions on how to do it? I need to refinish my interior a bit, under the dash the paint is starting to peel and I'd have to take the cluster out anyway I believe.... do I still need a drill to reset it (I laughed at the sitting on the toilet thing, here I would be with a drill on the toilet, ha!)
Old 08-08-2007, 11:54 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Family heirloom or not... and if it IS an heirloom, why should the mileage matter?

http://www.odometertampering.com/index.htm
Old 08-08-2007, 12:16 PM
65StangFB
2nd Gear Member

I see the first part of that reads the mileage is critical to the value of the car. Interesting, how many actually take the mileage on an old mustang as gospel when looking to purchase. Due to engine upgrades, rollover (Since they dont go past 100K) they really dont mean alot. My question is: Is it just as unethical to replace the speedometer all together? What if you bought one on EBAY? What if you purchased one through National Parts Depot. Wouldnt that be just as unethical by your definition? So many people get on their high horse on this subject, but dont think they did anything wrong if they bought a used one because theirs broke. Same thing. I know someone that wanted gauges instaed of dummy lights in a 65 and bought a used cluster to put in it. How many of us have done tsomething like that in a rebuild? you have to.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:40 PM
dstanger
2nd Gear Member

Exactly. There isn't anything dishonest or with malice here. I would like to know how many miles on the car since, really, the complete rebuild of the drivetrain. I plan to either rebuild or replace the rear end also, even IFI sold this car I could tell them that the mileage is on the drivetrain, but that is simply not likely to happen. I just think that it would be cool, and I don't feel like it would be violating any ethics. From the odometer tampering website listed above:
1. (It shall be unlawful for a person) "with intent to defraud, operate a motor vehicle on a street, road, or highway if the person knows that the odometer of the vehicle is disconnected or not operating;

If it makes anyone feel better I'll do #2 also...

So, how do you do it or is it an unethical thing to even ask? If so, I'll drop further attempts at asking, was not sure if it was doing anything wrong, etc. by asking. BTW, thank you all for being polite. I haunt several different message boards (scuba, porsche, unix, AND this one) and sometimes you can get eaten up by asking the most honest and/or naive question.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:53 PM
66GTKFB
5th Gear Member

1. Ethics - doing what is right, even when no-one is looking.
2. Time - it depends on what your time is worth - removal, changing the reading, re-install.
3. Cost - I think it's a sealed unit, just to prevent this type of changes.
4. If it's this important, do it - thentell us how you did it, so we all can rush out and roll back our odometers.
So toall the rest of you 'experts' - how do you do it? That was the original question.
Jim
Old 08-08-2007, 01:59 PM
jlg2002
4th Gear Member

1. Take it to a speedo shop and hope they'll reset the number wheels.

2. Get the drill out and spin the speedo input with an adapter for a couple of hours. (forward not in reverse)

Quick Reply: Resetting Speedometer???