Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Weatherstripping

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 01:34 PM
DCStang65
1st Gear Member

Default Weatherstripping

Anyone have any good recommendations for weatherstripping? Going to redo pretty much all the stripping around the doors and windows.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:00 PM
knuckless
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Weatherstripping

cj pony parts sells a kit for classic mustangs. thats where i got mine from. $220 give or take a few bucks. come with all weather stripping and seals for the entire car. weather stripping is weather stripping in my opinion. doesnt really matter what kind you get as long as its soft rubber.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:09 PM
66GTKFB
5th Gear Member

Shop smart. Almost all the weatherstrip is made by the same one or two companys, located in India or Taiwan. Most of the quality is good, not great, just good. An all encompassingweatherstrip kit is someones idea of acollection of cheap parts.
When you have to install weatherstriping using adhesive, use 3M 08008, the black stuff, and 3M 08001, the yellow stuff, and read the directions - twice. Any other adhesive will dissapoint you.
If you are going to do the windows, have a glass shop do it. Make them responsible for leaks.
Jim
Old 08-10-2007, 02:11 PM
DCStang65
1st Gear Member

Do you mean have a shop do the windshield and back window? Not the door seals...
Old 08-10-2007, 02:37 PM
66GTKFB
5th Gear Member

Yup, door and quarter weatherstripping is relatively easy. The door windows may have to be removed but they do not involve 'curved' glass. The hardest ones are the wing windows. You need a special tool to remove and install the rivets (next on my to do list). The doors and trunk just take a bit of time.
Jim
Old 08-10-2007, 03:15 PM
gothand
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 66GTKFB

You need a special tool to remove and install the rivets (next on my to do list). The doors and trunk just take a bit of time.
Jim
Have you seen that tool in use Jim? For my brothers '66 that I did years ago, I had to mickey-mouse that rivet. I know that NPD sells the tool and it is not cheap, but if the rivet is going to be on the car for another 40 years ...
Old 08-10-2007, 03:49 PM
DCStang65
1st Gear Member

Is this it?

http://www.mustangdepot.com/OnLineCa...esto/t-221.jpg
Old 08-10-2007, 04:05 PM
RedMachAndOrangeFox
2nd Gear Member

i would sugest with the door weatherstripping that you make sure you use the balck weatherstripping adhesive and that you screw both ends in and tape it up to place in increments becasue you might strechit it during glueing and this will give you point to verify that you are not or are... also mask off the areas with tape becasue some glue might get out and it looks bad but if you have tape the glue will get on that and you can peel it off . . and good luck
Old 08-10-2007, 04:34 PM
66GTKFB
5th Gear Member

That's the one.
Jim
Old 08-10-2007, 04:38 PM
66GTKFB
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RedMachAndOrangeFox

i would sugest with the door weatherstripping that you make sure you use the balck weatherstripping adhesive and that you screw both ends in and tape it up to place in increments becasue you might strechit it during glueing and this will give you point to verify that you are not or are... also mask off the areas with tape becasue some glue might get out and it looks bad but if you have tape the glue will get on that and you can peel it off . . and good luck
The instructions state to apply the adhesive on both surfaces, allow to dry (5 to 10 minutes), apply a second coat to one surface and stick it in place. Use an acid brush (Home Depot) to apply. The tape in sections works, the attach at both ends is not practical - although a good thought.
Jim

Quick Reply: Weatherstripping