Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

351 is out!! Pics of the tear down.. So far..

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 05:03 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

Default 351 is out!! Pics of the tear down.. So far..

I'm editing this post and title throughout my rebuild.. so if its changed please check it out, I might just need some help..

Well I have pulled everything but the Carb off of my 302 as of last night and will hopefully pull it this weekend to start my rebuild.. I was looking at ordering these Patriot Headers ( http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/ite...sp?T1=H8430+01) Let me know what you think..

Pics Will come tonight.. And I will take pics of everything as I pull it apart to get opionions on how the parts look, and if I should replace things or not.. So keep an eye out for this post,, I will probably change the title now and then to keep it fresh.. The wife told me last night to get my mustang to DD capability as soon as I can, so I can sell the POS sunfire DD.. So Im all for that...

I do need to know what brand of paint works best for the engine bay.. Should I just go with Rustoleum or do I need something better,, and the same goes for the engine. Im going to paint it after its all back together, so will the Kragen High temp engine enamel work in the long run? Thats what I used on my waterpump and it looks pretty good.. Any opinions?
Old 05-17-2007, 05:21 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Engine is Coming Out

If you have the means available to you, (a compressor & spray gun) I recomend a catylized enamal or an epoxy automotive paint. It will dry much harder and be more resistant to under hood chemicals and road salt etc.

I know that you have to deal with a lot of road salt in San Diego,,,,
Old 05-17-2007, 06:12 PM
Mykkus
1st Gear Member

Cool! Look forward to the pictures.
What are the plans for upgrades, or are you going back stock?

Old 05-17-2007, 06:44 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

Im not going Stock because the original was a 351, and the PO put in the 302.. Here is what I plan on..

Engine:
New Gaskets throughout the motor
Maybe new rings and Hone job.. not sure till its pulled apart
New main and rod bearings
Check the tolerances in the oil pump
Pertronix
Eventually a new intake, carb, and roller cam/rockers/lifters (not during this rebuild though)

Exhaust:
Headers
Flowmaster 40 duals w/H pipe 2.5 inch.. all the way back

Suspension
Rear : New rear mid eye springs (grab a track)= 1inch lowered with gas a-just shocks and new bushings
Front: Shelby drop with new shocks (not during the engine removal)

Wheels:
New Cragar SS 15 x 8 on rear with probably 4.25 bs to tuck the rear wheels and some New BFG Gforce 255 55 15's to match the front.. I still need new wheels on the front too but that can wait a little while.. I just need to get those ridiculous skateboard wheels off the rear.. They rub way too much..

Seatbelts, so I can strap the car seats in.. My 4yr old is already telling me that I have to paint the car blue,, because he sees a beautiful 69 camaro every day on the way to day care and points it out as "look at that fast car dad!!!"

Check out the current pics at www.photos.yahoo.com/otaiko7
Old 05-17-2007, 08:49 PM
Mykkus
1st Gear Member

If you got it apart, I'd seriously consider doing the cam and rings/hone. Otherwise you'll just be doing it later.

IMO...YMMV etc etc.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:53 PM
69stangcoupe
2nd Gear Member

is that color silver jade? im just wondering cuz thats what my 69 is supposed to be, im just trying to get a picture of what it looks like. are you going to paint it the same color?
Old 05-17-2007, 09:01 PM
Sean W.
4th Gear Member

eee hehe.... bro, i know exactly where you are at right now. when i pulled my engine i said " ill just pull it, clean it, and put it back in... " needless to say, now i have torn the engine down to nothing but the block. and i am looking to find someone to bore out the cylinders.... new from the pistons up... i just got the crank re ground, but pretty much everything but the major components ( block, heads and intake ) im going to buy new.... so i went from cleaning to a complete rebuiild.....
Old 05-17-2007, 09:20 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 69stangcoupe

is that color silver jade? im just wondering cuz thats what my 69 is supposed to be, im just trying to get a picture of what it looks like. are you going to paint it the same color?
Here is a silver Jade 69. I think it is the prettiest of all the greens.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:50 AM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

Its forest green,, I think.. The PO painted it probably 15 years ago.. its in need of some new color and a little body work..

Old 05-18-2007, 03:14 AM
Mykkus
1st Gear Member

YEah do the cam, check the compression first maybe?

Quick Reply: 351 is out!! Pics of the tear down.. So far..