Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

epoxy primer

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 08:32 PM
bw71mach1
1st Gear Member

Default epoxy primer

What is a good epoxy primer? Where can I find in on the web?
Old 08-13-2007, 11:09 PM
connor90
4th Gear Member

Default RE: epoxy primer

they sell epoxy primer at your local auto parts store in spray cans...google it and im sure you could find it on the internet too if you really wanted to buy it that way. im not really sure what the good brands are though
Old 08-13-2007, 11:15 PM
Tony R
4th Gear Member

Go to a paint store that does auto paint and pick their brains. They should be able to point you in the right direction. If you are like me you might have to go to a couple until you find one that doesnt treat you like an idiot because you dont know anything about paint and will tell you what you need to know.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:13 AM
gothand
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: connor90

they sell epoxy primer at your local auto parts store in spray cans...google it and im sure you could find it on the internet too if you really wanted to buy it that way. im not really sure what the good brands are though
Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but I thought epoxy primer was a two part primer that had to be mixed together prior to use. If that is the case, how could it come in spray cans from the auto parts store?
Old 08-14-2007, 08:14 AM
highhilleer
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gothand

ORIGINAL: connor90

Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but I thought epoxy primer was a two part primer that had to be mixed together prior to use. If that is the case, how could it come in spray cans from the auto parts store?
Bingo - there is no way the spray can "epoxy" has the same quality as automotive grade epoxy primer that is mixed with a catalist just before spraying.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:34 AM
john721
2nd Gear Member

I used RM brand, high build epoxy primer. It shot really nice, and looks great.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:15 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

I prefer DuPont URO primer, but due to financial considerations I usually use Nason 2000 Epoxy primer. It really is DuPont (can says "mixed by DuPont" and I have it from a reliable source that it comes out of the same tanks), but it docent seem to have quite as much "body" as the URO, but it isa great product.

And yes, real epoxy can not sprayed from a can..... but that doesn't necessarily mean that someone isn't marketinga sprayprimeras an epoxy.....

You will be able to get this from an automotive paint supply store, many reasonably sized towns will have a paint store.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:39 PM
bw71mach1
1st Gear Member

I talked with a guy whos been painting for years. He is a big PPG fan and very proud of his work. There for he really wasn't much help.
I found this on http://www.tcpglobal.com/kustomshop/kspepoprime.aspx. It looks good but what do I know. I have heard there are two types. One for bare metal. The other kind goes over the first coat or painted parts. I seems that I can only find the type that goes over bare metal.