Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

carbon buildup and cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 08:39 PM
JERM_1967stang
2nd Gear Member

Default carbon buildup and cleaning

well My car has sat for 25 years on a full tank of gas and when its turned on and reved a lil smoke come out the exaust i was told it is carbon build up on the valves and in the cylanders. would it be bad to remove the heads (i need to replace the gaskets anyways there original) and blow that **** out with a compressor?
Old 11-11-2007, 08:47 PM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: carbon buildup and cleaning

I would not remove the heads. When you bolt down a set of heads it slightly warps the cyl walls and that is part of the reason rings need to seat. When you pull a set of heads and reinstall them the slight warp changes a bit and your rings will not seat properly the motor will use more oil. The best way to fix your issues would be to replace the old gas with new gas, ad a couple bottles of fuel injector/car additive and then go drive the car putting good loads on it and winding it up to higher RPMs.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:54 PM
BULLITT GT 390
1st Gear Member

hes right get rid of the oid gas and hes right to on the heads
Old 11-11-2007, 08:57 PM
RolandT3Speed
2nd Gear Member

Of course it smokes. After sitting for 25 years (wtf?!) the valve seals are certainly shot.

If the engine smokes that's why. It's not "carbon".

That and burning gasoline that has turned into shellac!
Old 11-11-2007, 09:12 PM
loose_nut

This it the ticket- Go to a dodge dealaership and buy a can of CCC. Combustion chamber cleaner- Cleans up the carb , linkages and all carbon out of the intake and combustion chamber. let the ar warm up to operating temp. take off the filter, while idle'ing spray in the CCC, while adjusting the throttle so it does not stall. LOTS i mean LOTS of thick black smoke will billow out of the exhaust. if yo have cats i recomend they get removed, you might have to change plugs after as well. but it WILL clean out all the carbon. If its bad buy 2 cans. After the car has finished billowing like a 18'th century train. give it some gas and watch out, lots of black crap will come blowing out. so dont park it in the garage or facing the wifies car. let me know how ya do.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:37 PM
JERM_1967stang
2nd Gear Member

well with the CCC how long will that black crap blow out??
Old 11-11-2007, 10:26 PM
loose_nut

for a few minutes- you use the whole can, spray as much as you can without letting the engine stall. you can open the thottle while your spraying but your not using WOT or anything. Youll see the first time you try it. As soon as it works through the motor it will finish.

Oh i didnt mention, You need to spray in half the can then shut down the car for like 15 minutes. It soaks in and braks up the carbon. Then restart and spray the rest. The instructions are on the can. Its the absolute BEST product ive ever used- Its crazy to see all that smoke come out- its hillarious. If its bad you definately feel a diffrence. Its the first thing i do to a used car when i buy one!!!
Old 11-11-2007, 10:37 PM
F14chuck
1st Gear Member

I'd get rid of that 25 yr old gas as well.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:16 AM
JERM_1967stang
2nd Gear Member

well with that CCC can i buy that at a parts store like advanced or pep boys cause the closest dodge dealer is a good 30 min drive
Old 11-12-2007, 06:34 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

whatever you do, as a few people above mentioned: drain the old crappy gas first.
It's a miracle that stuff still works. So don't. get rid of the old ****
do that before anything else

kalli

Quick Reply: carbon buildup and cleaning