setting timing - MustangForums.com


Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-12-2007, 07:15 PM   #1
jman67
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 34
Default setting timing

Hi, I just put in a new ford racing342 crate engine. i am trying to set the timing on it. the manual says recomended timing is 36 to 38 degrees at 4000rpm. It does not say anything about the timing at idle.could anyone tell me what the timing should be at idle.
jman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 07:59 PM   #2
Starfury
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 5,895
Default RE: setting timing

Probably 10-14* with the vacuum advance disconnected and plugged. Set it at 14 and take it up a steep hill in high gear under light acceleration and listen for pinging. If it pings, back it off a couple degrees and try again.
Starfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 08:36 AM   #3
kalli
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cork, Ireland
Posts: 6,417
Default RE: setting timing

if you have a proper timing strobe where you can change the advance in degrees, set it to 36 advanced.
Rev the engine to 4000rpm and turn the distri so that it flashes the mark at 0 degrees.

if you don't, then use what Starfury says.
If the engine is brand new, Ford Racing should be able to help you with such details as well.

Kalli
kalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 10:40 AM   #4
palerider
4th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,001
Default RE: setting timing

Jman just curious where did you get ther motor and have not seen much published on HP or Torque - any estimated numbers you can share. Planning on putting new crate in my 70 Fastback. Just looking at my options. thanks
palerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 12:39 PM   #5
67mustang302
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: California
Posts: 10,468
Default RE: setting timing

What distributor do you have? Set the total timing at around 36-38 and see how it runs. Set the advance curve to get full advance by about 2,500-3,000rpm. Then drive it and see how it does, it may want more, it may want less. You basically want to get the best throttle response and fastest acceleration, and best part throttle power, but all without pinging
67mustang302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 04:16 PM   #6
jman67
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 34
Default RE: setting timing

Quote:
ORIGINAL: palerider

Jman just curious where did you get ther motor and have not seen much published on HP or Torque - any estimated numbers you can share. Planning on putting new crate in my 70 Fastback. Just looking at my options. thanks
I got the engine through cj pony parts. Its made by ford racing. It ison the ford racing website but it is hard to find on the site. Idon't know exactly the horsepower it puts out but ford says thier 302 puts out 345hp withEFI and long tube headers. I have a 600cfm carb and long tube headers so I think it should be in the area of 300. I just got finished the swap and I havent opened it up all the way yet.
jman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 04:21 PM   #7
jman67
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 34
Default RE: setting timing

Quote:
ORIGINAL: 67mustang302

What distributor do you have? Set the total timing at around 36-38 and see how it runs. Set the advance curve to get full advance by about 2,500-3,000rpm. Then drive it and see how it does, it may want more, it may want less. You basically want to get the best throttle response and fastest acceleration, and best part throttle power, but all without pinging
I have an MSD distributor I think it is the billet or pro billet. Also I have the electronic control box. there is no vacum advance for this distributor.
jman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 09:09 PM   #8
jcomp
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location:
Posts: 293
Default RE: setting timing


Quote:
ORIGINAL: jman67

Quote:
ORIGINAL: palerider

Jman just curious where did you get ther motor and have not seen much published on HP or Torque - any estimated numbers you can share. Planning on putting new crate in my 70 Fastback. Just looking at my options. thanks
I got the engine through cj pony parts. Its made by ford racing. It is on the ford racing website but it is hard to find on the site. I don't know exactly the horsepower it puts out but ford says thier 302 puts out 345hp with EFI and long tube headers. I have a 600cfm carb and long tube headers so I think it should be in the area of 300. I just got finished the swap and I havent opened it up all the way yet.
A properly tuned carburetor should make the same power as properly tuned EFI.
jcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Huge Savings from Lethal Performance.com!(Whipple, McLeod, Kooks, & MUCH MORE..) Boostaddict Lethal Performance 2 09-08-2015 09:56 PM
2.3 ecoboost dependability mdj89 The New S550 2015-2017 Mustang 2 09-06-2015 11:08 PM
It's Here - Steeda's Labor Day Sale -- Big Savings!! [email protected] Steeda Autosports 0 09-02-2015 08:40 PM
HELP A/C Wont blow cold, electrical 2008 cbird1177711 2005-2014 Mustangs 0 09-02-2015 04:12 PM


Tags
302, 345hp, 67, crate, ford, idle, motor, mustang, setting, timing

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:31 AM.