Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

transmission rebuilding

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 07:54 AM
Kramer
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: transmission rebuilding

you know, you could go down to the tranny shop and see if they'd do those 3 presses on and off for you.

ORIGINAL: flyingfool

so its the old style drifts for me then. dont have a press like that!
Old 11-24-2007, 10:48 AM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Kramer

a 91-95 t-5 is rated at 330hp but it all depends on how you drive. if you want to do tons of burnouts and high rev clutch dumps you will ruin your tranny very quickly. but I am trying to build a t-5 for a 350hp 289.
Well that information is absolutely accurate you need to keep in mind that the trans changed in 94 and has a longer input shaft and I believe the speedo set up is electronic.

As far as the actual rebuild, the first thing I would recommend going to www.cartapes.com and purchase the video "rebuilding your T5 Manual Transmission” This video is so complete and so much information that a friend of mine that rebuilds t5s and toploaders all the time said that when he watches it he still learns something new every time. Also you don't necessarily have to get a newer unit for extra strength. As long as the unit is world class (85 or newer) and from a 5.0 car the week parts can be replaced and built up to handle the power you are dealing with. The two-week parts on a T5 are 1st gear and the counter gear stabilizer

the one on the right is the stock one and the one on the left is the aftermarket stronger piece.
A good source for T5 parts and rebuild (also the source of the above picture) is http://www.rosehillperformanceparts.com/
This is the web page for the friend of my I mention that rebuilds transmissions all the time. He is a really good guy and is really good at what he does.

Also here is a MUST HAVE go to this link and download a free T5 rebuild manual Manual link

Old 11-26-2007, 08:48 PM
flyingfool
3rd Gear Member

thats a good point kramer.

daze. could the logerinput shaft be compensated for with a different bell housing? and thanks for all the information! should get me going.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:10 PM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

That is correct the 94+ transmissions need a 94+ bellhousing. Keep in mind that that will also move the trans back which means a standard T5 cross member may not work. Most people do the 93 and earlier swap but that doesn't mean the newer ones won't work.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:58 PM
Kramer
2nd Gear Member

but there's also a conversion kit that you can buy for the crossmember, spacer plate, and I don't really remember what else. just go intoone of your mustang magazines, under transmissions and look for the t-5 conversion kit. it's like $300-400 I still have to buy that for my stang
Old 11-27-2007, 01:34 AM
flyingfool
3rd Gear Member

well, ill be keeping an eye out for somthing earlier, but its still good to know the other information aswell, in case i find somthing worth it.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:23 AM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

but there's also a conversion kit that you can buy for the crossmember, spacer plate, and I don't really remember what else. just go into one of your mustang magazines, under transmissions and look for the t-5 conversion kit. it's like $300-400 I still have to buy that for my stang
Those kits are for the 93 and older transmissions
Old 12-21-2007, 10:49 AM
flyingfool
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: transmission rebuilding (update)

so, just wanted to add a quick question here. this afternoon or over the weekend, im going to check out a couple of t5s, year 88 and 93. just wanted to ask is there any advatage of one or the other? from what ive heard so far, the 88 is in a little better shape, but they both should get a rebuild
Old 12-21-2007, 11:14 AM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: transmission rebuilding (update)

The 93 is the stronger T5 and is rated at about 40 more HP and TRQ so assuming all the gears and the input shaft are still good than it is the better trans, however if the main gears, side gears, and or counter gear need to be replaced in the 88, than the stronger parts can be installed and it would come down to price. I guess what I am saying is assuming all the T5s need is a rebuild kit then the 93 is the better choice. Either way I would upgrade to a solid steel input retainer and the performance counter gear stabelizer.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:25 PM
Kramer
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Daze

but there's also a conversion kit that you can buy for the crossmember, spacer plate, and I don't really remember what else. just go intoone of your mustang magazines, under transmissions and look for the t-5 conversion kit. it's like $300-400 I still have to buy that for my stang
Those kits are for the 93 and older transmissions
If that's the case what do you need to install one into an older mustang??
-nevermind found the answer to my own question

Quick Reply: transmission rebuilding