Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

problem with MF website and flash9d.ocx error?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 01:35 PM
Cogtx
3rd Gear Member

Default problem with MF website and flash9d.ocx error?

Any one else having probs with internet explorer giving you an error then shutting down? Seems to be an issue for others posting in the OT areas for awhile. https://mustangforums.com/m_4190494/tm.htm

Please contact the mods or admin about fixing this issue if you are experiencing these shut downs....[:@]
Old 11-25-2007, 02:08 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

Default RE: problem with MF website and flash9d.ocx error?

The moderator in Forum Issues has acknowledged the error (happening to him too)and said he will make sure it is addressed. It appears to be the Ford Mustang ad causing it.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:05 PM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

I thought it was my computer. You know how downloading stuff can be
Old 11-25-2007, 05:49 PM
ideal_mustangs
4th Gear Member

Mine has been doing it as well. Very frustrating.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:15 PM
JamesW

Mine does it also. The Admin's are trying to determine which Ad is causing it. If anyone here can associate the crash with an ad...lemmie know. I'm usually too pissed off at the time it happens to look at the ads.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:24 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

It's not the ad, it's Adobe. When they upgraded to Flash 9, the ActiveX controller(flash9*.ocx, c, d, e whatever version) was coded like crap. Whether you use Windows or *nix, Internet Explorer or Firefox etc, doesn't matter. The problem is with the Adobe addon file itself, and until Adobe comes up with a fix we're all basically screwed.

You can do a few things to manage though, since it appears to be a memory overflow error you can minimize it by having less tabs open if you use tabbed browsing, or having fewer instances of IE etc open. Also open in new window seems to produce less problems than open in new tab. It's been so bad for me and many others, that I use the workaround of tools>manage addons and disable Macromedia Flash Player(which is Adobe Flash 9, ie flash9d.ocx) and it's 100% stable that way, I just enable it when I want to view flash content, and then disable it immedeatly after I'm done. My IE7 was HIGHLY unstable with Flash enabled, it wouldn't run for more than 30 seconds without crashing, and sometimes less than 5 seconds it would crash.

Again, until Adobe releases a patch or a new version of Flash we're all just going to have to deal with it. If you admins wanna do anything, all I can suggest is just disabling flash content for the forum until Adobe resolves the issue, and post notices to let people know of the problem.

SHAME ON ADOBE!!!!!!!!! [:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(]
Old 11-25-2007, 06:51 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

67mustang302, if I might offer an alternative...granted Flash has its problems but nonetheless the only site and time I get the I.E. crash is at MF when the Mustang ad is up. So whether it is Adobe or the ad it would seem to me the ad could be redone to eliminate whatever it is Flash does not like. If I am right and it is the Ford ad keying the error, then Ford is not doing itself any favors by running it in its current configuration. True, Ford and MF should not have to worry about the purity of Flash coding but the reality is, it isa problemand if they can make an alteration to prevent the problem they may have to. Off topic - Adobe add-ins are no winner in Microsoft office either.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:13 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Like I said though, it's not the ad, it's the ActiveX controller itself. Adobe hasn't released a fix for it because apperantly, they haven't even figured out completely what the problem is. The only bits I've seen are that it MAY be memory overflow related, which means it's a matter of how the .ocx fileuses the system memory on the computer, and not the content of the ad. Some people have no problems, some people have TONS. My system seemed to have been fine for a long time, and then suddenly the problem started. Some people have replaced their system memory and the problem went away and stayed gone, some replaced memory and the problem went away, only to come back. The only thing for certain that's known is that the problem is with the flash9*.ocx file itself, and it has affected every system and every web browser that has the flash plugin.

In order to change the ad content so that Flash doesn't cause instability, you'd need to know what the problem with Flash is to begin with. And if they knew what the problem was, they'd have patched it. Adobe caused epic fail on this one. If you go to their forums on their own site and put in "flash9d.ocx" you'll get a large selection of threads about people having the same problem, with the occasional interjection of an Adobe rep saying "We're aware of the problem and trying to resolve it, in the meantime try disabling your Flash." [>:]
Old 11-25-2007, 07:35 PM
Cogtx
3rd Gear Member

Yep, gotta agree with 67mustang302 on this one. I went to the adobe support forums to see what the deal was here. Even Adobe is aware of the problem but has no fix at this time. It is odd that the MF site was the only site that I received the error from related to the flash9d.ocx. Anyways, I just downloaded Firefox and will be using it in the meantime...
Old 11-25-2007, 07:40 PM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Cogtx

It is odd that the MF site was the only site that I received the error from related to the flash9d.ocx.
+1. The only time mine goes down is when I am on MF.

Quick Reply: problem with MF website and flash9d.ocx error?