Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Buying '66 coupe. Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 10:56 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: Buying '66 coupe. Recommendations

ORIGINAL: Spbeyond

Hello. This will be my first classic car. I am buying a 66 coupe with a 289 as an everyday driver. Has a new clutch. What should I replace first to get a decent amount or reliablitly? The engine has 90,000 miles on it. If i were to overhaul the engine what is the range I should expect to pay? Is the 289 known as a decently reliable engine? What problems should I expect. What gas milage can I expect and is there anyway of making i better without killing my power? I appreciate any help.
[align=left][/align]
buy my 66!!! it's all done and has a t-5 tranny and motor is all rebuilt!! I got 20k + in it 13.5k and it's yours!!
Old 12-16-2007, 11:21 PM
Spbeyond

Yeah... I cant do anything really really fancy with this mustang say like put 20,000 into it. I want a decent looking mustang with okay reliablility. That is number one priority. Say I buy this mustang and put 1000 bucks in within about month. I hope that is enough to make it decently reliable. Then over time a little here and a little there. I dont at this time have money for major rebuilds right away. Is this possible.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:31 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

yes it is possible but like any old car you'll be way over budget when it's done.....I bought mine and it looked like the one you were buying and I paid 9000 initially and now after all was said and done I had more than doubled my investment[&:]..oh well it looks good anyway
Old 12-17-2007, 10:11 AM
connor90
4th Gear Member

i usually try to stay away from cars with fresh paint...i mean why would someone spend that much money and sell a car? unless of course its a macco job and theyre trying to hide something...

as for gas my mom's '65 vert gets 8mpg on her 289 (runs WAY too rich) and mine gets 11-13 depending on how i drive. i figure if i wanted good gas mileage i would have bought a honda haha.

edit: just saw it said that paint was 10 years old...if nothing is showing yet (bubbles, cancer, etc.) you're probably fine...id also like to know where the 289 emblems on the front fenders went. either they shaved them when it was painted, it was in an accident and they replaced the fenders with ones from an i6 car, or it was an i6 that was converted to a v8 at one point...any chance you could get the vin?
Old 12-17-2007, 10:15 AM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

I hate to see someone finance a classic car. These things cost money to keep up, not like your average newer car. Payments AND repairs costs together could get high. This leads a lot of people to short cut on the necessary improvements (brakes, suspension bushings, etc.) or just not do them at all.

JMO ......
Old 12-17-2007, 11:00 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

In any case the Mustang isa very simple car. While you will have issues with the car,the parts to restore proper operation are quite cheap when compared to newer vehicles. If you have means of findingproblems as they arise, thenthe carcan be relatively cheap to maintain. (M/F can be a huge help here)

Since you are buying the car as a driver, don't get in a big hurry to make changes. Evaluate the car for a while and then proceed with needed updates.For example, if you end up needing a brake job, this would be a good time to think about switching to front disks. Approach the issues as they come at you. The only thing I would jump right on without provocation would be the stock master cylinder. The stock 66 cylinder is a single design, and I think it is a little scary. We changed toa 67 cylinder for a modest price.

There will be things that you want to update the more you drive the car. By driving the car, you will find out what is the most important priority to address these changes. By being smart with these updates you can spread them out over a period of time and the operation cost will not be staggering.

This Forum is great, I love it, but sometimes the postings are a little too aggressive concerning the updates that "need to be made".
Old 12-17-2007, 04:13 PM
mustangmatt63
3rd Gear Member

I agree with Connors post,I looked at the car and if I were you I would check the vin to make sure it was not a six cyl.That paint sure looks good for being 10 years old!!Get yourself a magnet and check for Bondo and take it to a reliable Mechanic to have it checked out !!As far as Upgrades,Brakes are by far the most important!! A car can run like a scalded dog but is not worth crap if you can not Stop.That would be my 1st Upgrade!!Lots of luck!![8D]
Old 12-17-2007, 04:49 PM
Spbeyond

I like mjr46's mustang. I am currently trying to secure financing for it. I have to finance because there is no way I can afford to buy a car outright and no one is going to help me. I figure with a nice one like mjr46's I shouldhave less un expected problems, so I will just pay the payment. And alot of the high priority upgrades are done. Now If I could just find a lender.