Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

New motor mounts will not line up.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 07:08 PM
musnicki
3rd Gear Member

Default New motor mounts will not line up.

I installed a set of new motor mounts today, my other ones were more than 50% cracked and didn’t want to be far away when/if they broke. Everything was smooth until I had to join up the motor back to the frame. I got one side bolted with lots and lots of work but couldn’t get the other one back together. I think that the frame pushed out when I pushed the motor up to take the broken mounts off then when I let the motor back down nothing lined up. I wrestled the right side then went back to the left because there is a little adjuster there and I figured that would make things easy for the left side placement. The adjuster just wasn't cutting it for me. I took it off/on possitive/negative tension, it just wouldn't bring the left shock colum and frame to meet up with the lower right side of the motor. I spent the better part of the day jacking it up and down trying different jack stand positions and pressure areas. I am at a standstill. Did I miss something? I put some slack in the transmission mount to give me some play in the front the pushed up on the oil pan a little, popped off the old mounts and barely got in the right side mount. I had my girlfriend help me as I used a serpentine wrench to pull the motor towards me (passenger side) while she worked the bolt into possition....that waspainfull.

Here it is zoomed in a bit.

The adjuster.

The right side installed.

Thank you for the help.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:38 PM
JamesW

Default RE: New motor mounts will not line up.

You sure you got the Left on left and Right on right?
Old 12-16-2007, 08:39 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Well, here's the deal... Nobody makes non-convertible mounts for 67 smallblocks. Period. I found this out the hard way, aftermultiple trips to the parts store and acouple days of forum postings (different forum).

The problem is that in 67 the non-vert frame brackets are slightly different than in 66 and 68-70, meaning that the mounts are slightly different as well. The company that makes the mounts (there's only one) is stupid and consolidated all of the 66-70 mounts into one part number because the difference between the mounts is very, very small. If you sit the two different parts side by side, it's very easy to not see the difference. When you try to slap the available 66-70 mounts into a 67 they don't line up, which is the problem you're having. With some force you can make them line up, but you'll just end up breaking one really quick.

The only solution to this I'm aware of is to pick up some 68-70 frame brackets and then use the available mounts. I had to do this to my 67.

On the upside, the frame brackets you have are the same as the FE 390/428 frame brackets for 67-70, which are actually worth something to the big block guys. You can sell these on ebay and helprecoupe some of the cost of buying new frame brackets. I haven't sold mine yet, but I've seen afew sets go for $60-100.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:42 PM
JamesW

hmmm... interesting factoid...
Old 12-16-2007, 08:56 PM
musnicki
3rd Gear Member

Very very thank you. I am not a master at this but I do do most of my own work and this just wasn't adding up. Thank you for the tip on the frame brackets. I will keep them in hopes of my big block fund possibly getting off of the ground next year.

It looks like back to the parts store for the frame brackets. I hope that I didn't mess up any linkage or anything else by moving the motor in order to fit the first one. I was almost debating wiether to dig out my old mounts from the garbage (we put our garbage out on Sunday nights for a Monday night pick-up) and looking into maybe getting them welded or something who knows. I do know that I love my Mustang very much and will be able to sleep better knowing that I'm not a complete failure....yet (I did break my bottom radiator hose off of the water pump when I was playing around with the motor, all that green stuff squirting out really scared me....it was funny, I said thank God and my girlfriend was like you're not pissed? I was just glad that it wasn't oil!)

You guys are great. I think Mustang Forums will turn me into a competent mechanic. I can’t wait until I can start to offer up some meaningful help to someone in need. Again….thank you and I eagerly await tomorrow.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:38 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

tad beat me too it[8D] saw the 67 fastback pic i was like oooo ooo i know
Old 12-17-2007, 08:31 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Could try http://www.ronmorrisperformance.com/...Code=Eng_Parts
Old 12-17-2007, 02:39 PM
SuperHoss
2nd Gear Member

Good one Andrew, I already have the RMP motor mounts and they were easy to install. That was $200 well spent...
Old 12-17-2007, 05:09 PM
musnicki
3rd Gear Member

They will work with my existing 'big block' frame brackets? Looking at the link it looks like they give an inch or so for play, anyone have any problems with the adjusting bolts loosening?

I think that I will order some tomorrow.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:23 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I don't see why they wouldn't. The difference between the frame brackets is just a slight angle change. You should be able to get that out of those mounts.