Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

having a couple of major issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 05:22 PM
built67
2nd Gear Member

Default having a couple of major issues

my 1967 mustang is a 289 c4. i just bought it and its in pretty good shape considering it just sat on the side of my cousins house for 6 years. starts up and runs strong. however, i have some problems. i have no breaks, they will not build up pressure when i pump them and the first day i got it, wen i pumped them i heard air coming from the back section of the car. the break pedal just goes right down to the floor. could it be a bad line, master cylinder, or maybe they just need to be bled?

the other problem is my transmission. it slips horribly. my cousins step dad told me there was a very low amount of tranny fluid in the car so i thought that was it. i put a quart in and then i moved the car a little (with no breaks haha) back and forth on my street. the tranny fluid was then all over my street and the dipstick read bone dry again. cud this be the tranny seal, or hopefully something little like the tranny pan gasket?

thanks a lot,
chris.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:34 PM
JamesW

Default RE: having a couple of major issues

Waking up a car that's been sitting for 6 years is always fun. There's lots of little things that get old and brittle from no use.

Brakes: before driving it, all 4 brake cylinders need to be rebuilt or replaced. This is the piston that pushes the brake shoes against the drums to stop the car. After 6 years, the seals are toast and will not hold pressure. While you're at it, change out the master cylinder and all the brake fluid. Just plan on doing a total brake job.

Transmission: same thing. The seals (front, rear or both) have become brittle and are letting the fluid out. Plan on having the transmission serviced at a shop.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:11 PM
mustangmatt63
3rd Gear Member

I definitely agree with JamesW!! You do not want to fool around with the brakes,rebuild them totally including the master cylinder!! Also have the tranny overhauled,you will have to pull it to replace the seals so you may as well have it gone thru at the same time as it will save you lots of problems and $ down the road!! Good Luck with it!![8D]
Old 12-17-2007, 07:46 PM
built67
2nd Gear Member

i may want to convert the front breaks to disc brakes...what would i need to do with the master cylinder bc my friend told me the master cylinder wont work then.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:18 AM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

You need to tear apart what you have and assess the condition before making any big plans. BTY it is brakes not breaks.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:10 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Also a normal tune up rebuild or replace the carb and fuel filter,Drain and clean the gas tank out if they didn't put fuel stabilizer.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:13 AM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

Get your brakes from www.discbrakeswap.com, they have a great deal and very well put together kit.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:52 PM
69thunder
2nd Gear Member

Old cars and sitting around that long is not a good combo. Sorry. Hope you can get it fixed soon.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:07 AM
built67
2nd Gear Member

besides doing the breaks, just to get the car drivable, i have a hunch that the tranny leak is the seal. how hard is it to replace the rear seal on the tranny? the transmission itself is eventually going to be replaced but for now i will just fix it temporarily so i can drive it. thanks.
Old 12-29-2007, 01:56 AM
KBunny
2nd Gear Member

Before you go replacing stuff that's not bad, crawl under your car and see where the trany fluid is coming from.
Breaks are a must, but get what you have working before you worry about upgrading to something else (unless you have the cash to drop for the upgrade now). Do you want to drive it or look at it for 6 months while you try and find the money to finish some project you started withoutany idea of what you are getting in to?

The rear seal is a fairly easy fix, you have to disconnect the 2 U bolts that are used to hold the drive shaft to the rear end in order to slide the drive shaft out of the tail shaft of the trany, and by doingwhich youacquire access to your seal... now justtake the old out and put the new in.

Just a word of advice, any project you do no matter what... double your estimated cost and time and then you will have a fairly accurate assessment.

Good luck and God Bless,
Brian

Quick Reply: having a couple of major issues