Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

turbocharged 302...

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 09:14 PM
dlynch
2nd Gear Member

Default turbocharged 302...

was thinkin if anyone new anything about tiwn turbocharging a 302. just an idea but was thinking of a built 302 with twin turbochargers on it does anyone have anymore information on it?
Old 12-22-2007, 09:51 PM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: turbocharged 302...

here is some info that may help it is on a 351, but the concept would be the same
http://www.toohighpsi.com/DadTT/dadTT.htm

and some more info
http://www.toohighpsi.com/BudgetTT/tt351W.htm

and some actual 302 info
http://www.homemadeturbo.com/forum/i...?topic=46125.0

Old 12-23-2007, 04:04 AM
dlynch
2nd Gear Member

thanks, i was really woundering what all i would need to do it. im new to the turbocharges. can you turbocharge a carburated car? what kind of wastgate all that...
Old 12-23-2007, 07:22 AM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

Theirs some good info in the Sept 2007 Hot Rod issue. One of my favorite is the guy that used a couple of John Deere turbos (T4's)and adapting them to his 5.0. The car runs in the high 10's and he built it from off the shelve parts from local stores (turbos from e-bay $250 ea, NIB). He was able to stay away from the speciality turbo shops andstill achieve the same results at a fractionof the cost comparedto a "out of the box" system.Thats "Hot Rodding".
Old 12-23-2007, 07:55 AM
musnicki
3rd Gear Member

Daze- I read through that 10 page thread that you linked, the 302 homemade turbo. Omg....that was a great read, not just the info that it provided but it was also entertaining too! I spent my whole breakfast flipping through that link, thank god that our Mustang forums are not like that.

James
Old 12-23-2007, 10:05 AM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dlynch

thanks, i was really woundering what all i would need to do it. im new to the turbocharges. can you turbocharge a carburated car? what kind of wastgate all that...

Absolutely, there are several ways to do it. One is to put a carb bonnet on the carb and force the pressure through the carb. Problem is that a stock carb can not handle more than 2 or 3 pounds of boost.

They make special carbs for $$$$ that can handle more boost.
Second option it to graw the fuel and air from the carb through the turbo and then in to the motor. I simply don't like that idea sense fual likes to varnish things.

Last option and probably the best is to build a sealed housing around the carb so that the pressure going through the carb is the same as the pressure on the outside of the carb maintaining the carb. the down side is that to adjust the carb the system must be off so you can take the top off of the housing to get to the carb, so tuning is a lot of trial and error.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:20 AM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

Daze, what do you think about a couple of turbos off a Thunderbird turbo coupe? Can twins pump out around 12 lbs on a 302? Looks like EFI is easier than a carb (MAF). I like the "Dads Turbo" set up and the way it looks.Seems like it works well also. Great job.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:49 AM
jcomp
2nd Gear Member

Cool motivational turbo video... 2100HP out of a 509.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn7iTcjUmTo

Also look into this book:

Like everything else: the more research and planning you do, the more likely you will be successful.
Old 12-23-2007, 03:12 PM
Deviousfred
3rd Gear Member

www.turbomustangs.com
Old 12-23-2007, 03:19 PM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 67 evil eleanor

Daze, what do you think about a couple of turbos off a Thunderbird turbo coupe? Can twins pump out around 12 lbs on a 302? Looks like EFI is easier than a carb (MAF). I like the "Dads Turbo" set up and the way it looks. Seems like it works well also. Great job.
At one point I was doing a lot of research in to turbos because I was thinking of putting a turbo on an in-line 6 and the one thing I found that is very important is getting the turbo matched up to the size of the motor so that it spools up soon enough with out being to small for the motor. With that said two T-bird turbos would work about right. I know that ford used two different ones and one is a little bigger than the other. If memory serves the cars with automatics came with the better turbo. seams backwards and I coold be mistaken but it sound right in my mind

Quick Reply: turbocharged 302...