Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Insurance..

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 12:41 AM
kryo
1st Gear Member

Default Insurance..

Okay, so here is the scoop. Right now I am insured under my grandfathers 2004 Ford Ranger, and my monthly fee is rediculous. I'm an 18 year old Caucasian male with 1 speeding ticket over a 2 year span and for some reason I'm paying around150 dollars a month.. for a god damn TRUCK. A "*****" truck at that! Anyway, come this summer after the Mustang is all fixed up, I am going to be needing insurance on it.. and so I was wondering what most of you had on your old classics. Most of the insurance companys from around here don't offer insurance on a '65, and the ones that do don't seem to car that I have a 200 instead of a 351 - they all want an incredible amount of money (200+ a month).

www.Hagerty.com has quoted me at 124 dollars.. a year. I couldn't believe it. This can't be legit, and if it is, how the hell can it be so low? Mind you that I have put down the lowest Liability rate you can go (25,000 / 50,000). Has anyone had any experience with the company?
Old 12-23-2007, 12:51 AM
sanjosebass
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Insurance..

My uncle uses Hagerty for all of his classics and swears by them. In fact, I am about to switch over to them after the holidays. I currently have Allstate on my 65 Mustang and Hagerty was 3X less a year with better coverage.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:31 AM
Waffles
5th Gear Member

Let me tell you a story about Haggerty.

A couple years ago my grandfather, (who like me, goes through haggerty for our classics...) Had a 51 Ford Vicky...

During a hellfire storm one night, a tree blew over onto their garage... crushing everything foreward of the windshield. He took it to his Body shop where they searched all over the country for the parts. Couldnt hardly find anything.... Finally they found a donor car... for $13,000. Called Haggerty, Haggerty told them to buy t and pick it up.

They let my grandpa keep the extra car. So if he ever needs extra parts, or can FIND extra parts he will have 2 complete cars. Got hs car restored completed everything, with a $250 deductible.

EXCELLENT people at Haggerty. The majority of them own classics themselves.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:04 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

the insurance quote is not for a daily driver youll still need to be insured on a daily driver to qualify, and need to have a garage etc. idk how valuable your mustang is(good shape needs alot of wor etc) but i always had mine insured when i was on my parents as a second vehicle no one was primary usually got off for around 10-15$ a month but that was liability
Old 12-23-2007, 05:15 AM
65PonyLove
1st Gear Member

Well let me just say....I'm 23 with zero points on my record now, but had 6 at one point a few months ago and I only pay 85 a month on my own plan with progrressive. And thats for my 65 with classic car ins. and my 2000 chevy malibu....NO JOKE!!
Old 12-23-2007, 07:19 AM
musnicki
3rd Gear Member

I have Gieco (I’m in the Army and get a nice rate). My main vehicle is an Izuzu Rodeo 4x4 and I think it’s about $250 for six months. I just got back from Iraq and paid like $5 a month while I was deployed for the same coverage. I added the mustang for $30 total, so my 6 month premium is not $280 something. Oh, I’m a white male age 33, no tickets or accidents since well, I got a ticket in Nevada in 1995, I think that the statute of limitation was reached for my bench warrant for my arrest. I will know when I goto Las Vegas dressed up as Elvis to get married.

What was told to me was that Gieco insured my vehicle for it’s book value which really isn’t crap compared to it’s price on Ebay. I’m kinda broke during the holidays and I keep it in a garage with cameras right now. After the holidays I was going to look into the classic section with-in Gieco to see if I can get some better coverage.

Off topic but the cool thing about having a 40 year old car in North Carolina is the fact that I don’t need a safety sticker….I feel like such a rebel.

James
Old 12-23-2007, 07:56 AM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

With classic car insurance, I am pretty sure that there are limits to how, when, how much you can drive your car. And also how your car has to be stored. Thats why the rates are lower, they dont expect you to be driving it everyday, so the amount of risk for them is lower. If your car is a dd, then you will not pay 124 a year, or in your case even a month. High insurance while you are young is one of those crappy phases you just have to suffer through.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:17 AM
JamesW

I'm surprised Hagarty quoted you a price....they typically don't insure people under 25.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:57 AM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

You can't use Haggerty and have it be a daily driver plain and simple.

People that use classic insurance and aren't completely open with the insurance company about the use just make the rates more expensive for everyone else. I'm using regular use insurance on both my mustang right now ($150 / month for the 2 of them) because the driving restictions with classic car policies are more than I can stomach and I refuse to lie to get a policy just to then have something bad happen and have the insurance company find a way to cancel my **** without payment because I was driving the car to work some nice sunny Wednesday.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:15 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Believe it or not, the Mustang will probably be cheaper to insure than the truck. Most insurance companies see it as 'just an old car.' My 67 is like that. I'm still on my mom's GEICO plan (who she's been with for like 20 years) and mine is like $600/yr.

That said, you're 18, and you've got a ticket on your record. Nobody's going to insure you for cheap.

Quick Reply: Insurance..