Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

just got a 65 mustang

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 01:06 AM
harrisont
1st Gear Member

Default just got a 65 mustang

hi,
i just bought a 65 mustang for $4000. it has a straight 6 engine. i was wondering what engine i should get (cheapest) cause im only 16. also the do's and don'ts and tips.

Old 12-23-2007, 01:16 AM
eZ
5th Gear Member

Default RE: just got a 65 mustang

My car was an inline six that now has a roller block 302. If you upgrade to a v8you have a lot more to upgrade than just the motor. i.e. complete suspension, brakes, rear end, five lug wheels, steering.

Welcome to the forums!
Old 12-23-2007, 01:17 AM
Waffles
5th Gear Member

First off, WELCOME.

Since youre only 16 keep the six. Don't plan on racing nothin till u got the money for a severe swap. Theres alot more than just an engine to drop in. Get the car running strong, looking good, and you'll be all set. Have them little 16 year old girls hangin all over you. The 6 should be fairly good on gas, so keep it in until you actually have the money for an 8

DOs:

Always love it. Even when its dead on the side of the road (Which it will be.)
Maintain it. It will need considerably more attention than any of your friend's cars.
Brag about it. Some people will be jealous, some will not. Get used to the feeling, but if the cars right for you, thats all that matters.
Spend all of your money on it. Girlfriends are unnecessary.

DO NOTS:

Wreck it. Learn to be a good driver because now you don't just hold you and your passengers lives in your hand when you drive; but also a Classic Mustang. And some of us here wouldn't be too happy if you kill the car.
Put Lambo Doors, Neons, and 22" blades on it. Sell it then buy a Honda.
Regret your decision for having purchased it. Like I said, it will need extra attention, but the extra attention it pulls from people will be ALL worth it.

Enjoy it. We're here (some more than others) with much info. Most of us have torn down and rebuilt our cars from the ground up and know/remember most info for most parts of the cars. I'd say the vast majority here has the earliest bodystyle (64.5-66) and they will be very helpful to you.

Again, welcome aboard.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:30 AM
harrisont
1st Gear Member

thanks

i dont really need to do anything to the interior cause its awesome right now. my main focus right now is the paint and the engine.

i want to repaint the car white with 2 stipes going down. i got to get used to no power steering.

-what can i do to make the car go atleast 85mph?

Old 12-23-2007, 02:16 AM
sanjosebass
1st Gear Member

Congrats man! And welcome to the forums. Like yourself, I am a new guy too and you'll be glad that you came to this site. Most of the people I've dealt with on here have been EXTREMELY helpful.

Do's:

1. Drive safe, and get used to that old car feel.
2. Buy tools, you are going to need them. ;-)
3. Learn to love that classic. Unlike most of your buddies, you are driving a piece of American history.
4. Check your fluids on a regular basis. Also, check where you park, is it leaking oil or anything else?

Don't:

1. Drive it too hard, at least not at first. Something will likely give out.
2. Ever change out those black and yellow license plates you have.
3. Buy anything without doing some research first.

Have fun, be safe, and again, congrats man!
Old 12-23-2007, 07:47 AM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

Congrats on the car and welcome to the forums! If you wanna go 85, makes sure your brakes, suspension, tires, and steering are up to it. Above all you need to remember that you are driving a 40+ year old car and alot of people leave alot of 40+ year old parts on these cars. Before I rebuilt my brakes and suspension, 85 felt VERY scary. I am not the least bit afraid of speed (lived in germany for 6 years, 150 mph on autobahn was a normal commute). Even now, I very rarely take it over 70. Its a classic, its been around for 42 years, so I dont feel the need to be in hurry when I drive it
Old 12-23-2007, 07:54 AM
sschanz
2nd Gear Member

Congratulations on your car! From the looks in the pics, I'd say you got a pretty good deal. The first thing I would do is install disc brakes on the front of the car and a 3-Point shoulder belt. You need to make sure that the car can stop when you need it to and that you do as well. If you have drums in the front, the very first thing you should do is the disk brake conversion kit. If you view the FAQ's in this forum you'll find tons of great things to consider with your Mustang.

Be safe, read and learn lots! There is so much great information on this forum.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:15 AM
sixtysix
2nd Gear Member

That car loooks great-Welcome to the forum-drive safe and keep the 6 for a while-switching over to a 8 is going to be a lot of upgrades-where are you located? When the time comes,I have a extra 289 V8......Scott
Old 12-23-2007, 09:36 AM
JamesW

Welcome to MustangForum Thai. Sounds like you've already gotten lots of great advise. Safety is paramount. You're driving an antique..a classic. It's not a car with modern electronics or modern brakes.

Love your car and it will love you!
Old 12-23-2007, 10:53 AM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

ORIGINAL: harrisont

it has a straight 6 engine. i was wondering what engine i should get (cheapest) cause im only 16.

Don't start thinking about putting a new engine in it until you drive it for a few months. I'm only 15, i have a 67 I6. That is a good engine to start off with. My friend got a 68 with a 302 and he has already gotten it up 2 90mph on a 45mph road. With my dad, me, and his sister inside. Before you should do any modding just learn to like the car you have.

Quick Reply: just got a 65 mustang