Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Headliner Install for fastback... Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 12:08 AM
john721
2nd Gear Member

Default Headliner Install for fastback... Help!!

I know there are a few guys here who have installed headliners...Gothand...I know you're out there! I am going to tackle this task tomorrow. When I got the car, the bows were just in the floor. The PO said he "just took them out" Anyway, They are 3 different lengths, and I was able to get them verified for the position they belong. I got the right retaining wires from Perogie Enterprises. I did a "test run" on the bows....My question is this.. Are they supposed to fit tight against the roof, I mean, with no space at all? Also, there are two holes each that they could go in, one is "higher" than the other... Which one is right, or does it matter?
Old 12-24-2007, 01:00 AM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Headliner Install for fastback... Help!!

as far as which hole, I think just whichever one works. But maybe the higher one so its tighter??

and i don't think its supposed to be perfectly tight against the roof, however when I did m ine there was this yellow insulation up there maybe 1/4" thick that it squished up against which I'm sure helped

PM gothand if he doesn't see this thread, I'm sure he can be a bigger help since you two have the same model car.
Old 12-24-2007, 01:52 AM
az1966
2nd Gear Member

I dry fit mine to see what works best,,, as far as insulation I went to home despot and bought regular fiber glass insulation and some spray on adhesive and use that,, somewhere I read that the insulation is for heat/cool issues,, ( what laugh) what I discovered was that the "insulation" helps take out wrinkles. as for the headliner itself I slide the rods? into it and then squared up the whole thing and then trimed some of the material off to keep things under control while installing and did the final triming after things were pretty much done. I also discovred that contact cement is contact cement, so I bought some at the despot and throw away brushes and then had at it,,,, it all turned out solid,, just take your time and size things up before you start and you'll probably go great
Old 12-24-2007, 02:10 AM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

ok when I tried mine I cut slits in the loops for the rods to come through at. is this the right way to do it? or are you just supposed to center the rod in the slit and put it in with the fabric over the rod like that?
Old 12-24-2007, 09:24 AM
mustangmatt63
3rd Gear Member

When you install the headliner you need to glue the insulation to the roof area first! Then proceed to slide your rods thru the headliner.Then fit the rods into the holes.Mark the center at front and rear to keep it centered evenly.You then proceed totake small pieces of windlace as you stretch it out front and rear to hold it in place.Then glue the rear then the front.When you do the sides you will probably have to slice some of the sewn in loops to get the headliner to stretch properly from side to side.Glue both sides in place trim off excess and cover with the windlace and you are Finished!! Good Luck with it!! PS Take your time!![sm=trust_me.gif]
Old 12-24-2007, 09:41 AM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

I think I used the bottom holes. The should only fit in a certain way. The bows will have to be in the right order with a couple of springs that hold the back one.As far a****ting the roof, their should be a space between them and the roof. I would not cut the pockets untill you start the install. Make sure its warm and its a good idea to let the liner heat up to remove as many wrinkles as youcan before the install. I use 3-M Super spray adheisive for attachment (Super is better that just the other, it cost a little more but is worth the extra). They also make a little headliner tool if you want one. Follow"Mustangmatt63's" procedure keeping things centered and tight. Its not too hard. Remember, heat helps to remove wrinkles. good luck.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:16 AM
gothand
5th Gear Member

These guys beat me to the punch! As stated, once you get yourself going on the right foot, the rest will fall into place nicely. My headliner had a small 'V' cut into the front and back to indicate the center. I then measured and placed a mark on a piece of painter's tape on the front and back of the the car by the glass. I can't remember which holes I used for sure, but I think it was the uppers for a bit more clearance (I re-used the ones that the factory did). Get the whole thing clipped up in place before starting to glue it in. After everything is bueno, remove the clips and glue about six inches at a time and then immediately re-install the clips. If you see some large loose spots or wrinkles, don't be afraid to pull that portion of the glued headliner back off and pull it tight. If the headliner is tight, small wrinkles from packaging will disappear shortly.

If all else fails, pitch the thing in the trash and start over with a new piece. You can screw this up probably a dozen times and still be ahead versus having a pro do the whole thing.

Good luck!
Jeff
Old 12-24-2007, 10:50 AM
john721
2nd Gear Member

Thanks to everyone! All of my questions were answered. I'll let you know how it goes...
Old 12-24-2007, 01:57 PM
john721
2nd Gear Member

DONE! And did it turn out great! Thanks everybody.....all of the tips paid off. I was really kinda suprised how easy it went in. Testimony that good advice from experienced folks works! Thanks again.....
Old 12-24-2007, 04:07 PM
Reverb
2nd Gear Member

Think I need to print this and keep it somewhere. I'll be doing mine in a month or so (soon as the floors go in). Great information guys.

Quick Reply: Headliner Install for fastback... Help!!