Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Keeping Your Car Safe?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 11:23 PM
SUPERSTEVE9219
1st Gear Member

Default Keeping Your Car Safe?

So today I found out that I won the best car at my school and I will be in the yearbook, I guess it was a landslide and I won by alot. I was pretty happy then I come out after school to my car, all my friends are standing around and I have my keys in my hand and I look up and my car wasn't were it was when I left it!! My heart dropped and I guess I had the most shocked look any of my friends had ever seen. Luckily I looked around and saw my car on the other side of the parking lot and everyone started busting up. I guess I didnt hold the button on the door when I was shutting it and it unlocked when I shut it and my friends got in and they pushed it across the parking lot.

So it was all fun and games but now im pretty worried about my car getting stolen, my insurance only covers my car up to the bluebook price which is most likely pretty low for a 1967 Mustang. Are there any cheap GPS's that I could maybe stick under my fender when im parked at a pretty shady place so I can track my car if its gone when I get back?

What do you guys do?
Old 01-11-2008, 11:41 PM
jlp66stang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Keeping Your Car Safe?

Depending on what you think the car is worth, you might check into antique car insurance. Then you can place the insured value of the car. It won't stop someone from stealing it, but you might feel better when the check comes!
Personally, I would be thinking about whipping some a** if someone messed with mine.[:@]
I guess you could look into an alarm system, something to keep your neighbors up at night.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:43 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

Congrats on the win! i saw a gps tracking system that just goes under the dash, i'm not sure if this is the one i was thinking about but it might be. pretty pricy though.
http://gps-snitch.com/
Old 01-11-2008, 11:52 PM
Mustangdemon67
4th Gear Member

a couple ways to try to keep it safe.

1. a hood lock
2. get electric fuel pump and have it on a toggle switch (thats not in plain site)
3. that autolcok thing for the brake
4. lo jack (sometimes kinda pricey)

thats about all that comes to mind, but if someone really wants your car, most likely then not they are going to get it[&:]
Old 01-12-2008, 12:09 AM
Reverb
2nd Gear Member

I'll be driving my mustang in NYC when it's done so I've planned on a few things to secure it:

1. Central locking
2. Remove the starter switch from the column and make it into two separate things - button and key - hidden elsewhere on the car
3. Clifford avantguard alarm - with pager so i can see when someone is snooping.

Also I have been thinking about adding the following if i feel like the car is being threatened in the neighborhood:

Miniature cameras linked to a wifi transimtter in strategic locations (have the knowhow to do this from scratch)
Old 01-12-2008, 12:17 AM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

This is something I'll be looking into as well in the upcoming months. There are many types of security systems available from alarms, gps, lojack, power door locks,kill switches, etc.

I'm looking at some type of Alarm thats powered by a seperate power source other than the main battery. Whats the point in an alarm when 1 person brakes the window (or uses a coat hanger), pops the hood or trunk and pulls the alarm power? Today people are so used to alarms going off they are hardly noticed if one goes off for a few seconds. Hence having it powered from a seperate hidden source. I'd like to use an alarm thats incorporated with power door locks as well.

LoJack is one service I'll likely go with as it works on a radio frequency (Not line-of-site) which doesn't matter if its in a building, in the woods, etc. LoJack also has an early warning recovery system that can notify you via phone, page and email if your car is moved without your authorization (you just found out how scary this is ). LoJack interfaces with the National Crime Information Computer system so police nationwide can enable and track your car if you report it missing. If you decide to go with LoJack just call 1-800-4-LoJack and setup an apointment. They send out one of their own technicians who install the small radio transceiver. Lojack say they have a better then 90% recovery rate and often recover cars in a few hours.

I know when my wife bought her car she had the LoJack system installed. If we notice the car missing we call the police, provide our code/number and they enable the tracking on the car. There was no monthly service with LoJack but I'm not sure if that was because we got the car new from a dealer or not. I forget the exact price but think it was a 1 time fee of about 800.00 bucks. I'm looking at putting about 12 to 15k (plus all the labor) into the mustang so I think its worth it.

GPS is an idea and one I have not looked into just yet. One thing about GPS is that I think you also need to pay a monthly service for it to be monitored. I could be wrong here. If I'm wrong I'd be interested in knowing more and a few good products. One thing to add here.. if your car is stolen and driven to a nearby garage, warehouse or anywhere that there is no line-of-sight from satellites your screwed as GPS requires line-of-sight to work.

The car I just bought wouldn't start when I first got in and I realized the prior owner had installed a small kill switch inside the ashtray . This can be a useful idea if installed properly and hidden in a location where its not noticed when others jump in the car with you. A kill switch is only as good as its own secret. Another idea is to use a removable starter switch.

In the end if someone really wants your car well.. Its going to be stolen! Thats a fact!
Old 01-12-2008, 12:18 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

If you have an MSD box, just use the pickup for whichever dizzy type you're not using(points or mag/optical) and run it to an underdash switch that goes to ground. When it's on the box will ground out and you get no spark. If the switch is well hidden then you have good security as far as someone driving off with it. Similar can be done by running a switch to a relay going to the starter etc.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:35 AM
SUPERSTEVE9219
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys, I think I will try to put in some kind of kill switch within the week.

this whole thing was just kinda nerve wrecking.
Old 01-12-2008, 04:23 AM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mustangdemon67

a couple ways to try to keep it safe.

1. a hood lock
2. get electric fuel pump and have it on a toggle switch (thats not in plain site)
3. that autolcok thing for the brake
4. lo jack (sometimes kinda pricey)

thats about all that comes to mind, but if someone really wants your car, most likely then not they are going to get it[&:]
Very good post.The same ideas I would have mentionedbut I've heard the last part several times from my friends as I'm petrified of getting my car stolen. I would even add the club as a lot of these thefts are spur of the moment and these rodents don't always have the proper tools. That in itself can have your car passed over.The lengths these human garbage dirtbags will go to get what they want is incredible. I've known of friends cars to be tracked for weeks, surveyed, and when the circumstance finally presented itself(due to a non favourable parking position) flatdecked. If there are two other things I would add to the above posters list of deterents they would be a very good ear, and a 34in. Louisville Slugger wrapped tightlywith ****** wire. Lowly ****ing maggots...
Old 01-12-2008, 10:33 AM
ninteen66mustang
3rd Gear Member

Get one of the steering wheel lock bars. I have on and you cant turn the wheels more than a couple of inches. Correct me if I am wrong but I am pretty sure they are hard to get past. You can also buy ones that cover your car if it is stolen. They will give you like 5-10 grand if it is stolen with their lock on it...

Oh, and you should teach your friends to respect the classics. It seems like it could have been pretty easy for them to get the car rolling too fast and hit something. If my friends did that I would prolly end up in jail that night.

Quick Reply: Keeping Your Car Safe?