Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

stalling/vaporlock

Old 01-16-2008, 09:20 AM
stonecamp

Default RE: stalling/vaporlock

If my local station uses ethanol they don't advertise it. I'm pretty faithful to EXXON.
The fuel pump on my car is original. I have a new one which I will put on this spring. I live in PA so I don't drive it in the winter. It has about 125000 miles on it. I've owned this car for 43 years so I'm pretty familiar with its aches, pains and idiosyncrasies.
In 1982, I did a major overhaul, engine, AT, torque converter,some minor body work and paint. I didn't drive it much for the past 15 years.
Last spring, 2007, I refurbished the head, valves and stem seals, waterpump, radiator, all new front suspension, tie rod ends, shocks, rear springs, rear wheel bearings, tires, exhaust system and fixed some leaks in the AT.
Now it runs great except for the stalling/vaporlock issue.
I did rebuild the carb this past spring and was surprised to find hardly any varnish and crud in the carb bowl. Each fall when I park it I put fuel treatment, I can't think of the name, in the fuel tank for the winter. I have found that modern unleaded fuel has about a six month shelf life.
This carb spacer that you have. Is it an insulating spacer, Phenolic or the like, and does it appear to be OE or aftermarket?
Old 01-16-2008, 11:45 AM
mySAVIOReigns
3rd Gear Member

Oh okay...I don't think Pennsylvania is using E-10 yet. They probably will jump on the bandwagon soon though (it sucks!)

Sorry, maybe I misunderstood. I have the stock spacer that goes between the carburetor and the head.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:44 PM
Nosboss

ORIGINAL: mySAVIOReigns

Oh okay...I don't think Pennsylvania is using E-10 yet. They probably will jump on the bandwagon soon though (it sucks!)
That is the fuel I am refering to. Exactly what Iowa has. I agree, it SUCKS!.

Search this Thread