Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

sound deadening

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 06:34 PM
connor90
4th Gear Member

Default RE: sound deadening

alright, thanks a bunch!

i think i remember hearing somewhere someone used some kind of roofing insulation/sound deadener? it was supposed to be fairly cheap but i cant remember what it was called
Old 01-27-2008, 06:54 PM
scuf23
2nd Gear Member

What is eDead's web page? Thx
Old 01-27-2008, 07:29 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: onegreedy

i noticed most people used 45-50 mil, would 80 mil be even better?
Or you can just double layer it and have about 100mil

alright, thanks a bunch!
i think i remember hearing somewhere someone used some kind of roofing insulation/sound deadener? it was supposed to be fairly cheap but i cant remember what it was called
Its called peal-n-seal and you can get it from lowes. Its 15$ for 12.5sqft and about 45mil so I would only get it if you need just alittle. If your getting like 100ft+, it would be cheaper to buy the brand name stuff of the net.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:32 PM
Arcticspook
2nd Gear Member

Do you put it on with a heat gun or is it self-adhesive?
Old 01-27-2008, 07:39 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Most are self adhesive, its like a sticky tar with a waxpaper backing you just peel off. I used a heatgun on anything that was hanging vertical or upside down becuase it makes it stick alot better.

If you do use a heatgun, make sure there's no airpockets (which there will be) under it or the heat will cuase the air to expand anditllswelllike a ballon. I just put a big slice through the bubbles with the cutting knife to the air out and then flatten them back down with the roller..
Old 01-27-2008, 07:45 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: scuf23

What is eDead's web page? Thx
http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/index.php?cPath=24

Since Im bored, I went ahead and check out how much it would be exactly since Im already signed up with them n stuff.

100sqft of the basic vs1 is 100$ plus 22.50s/h..... 122.50$
discount code (eDeadBA) -20.00

102.50 out the door[8D]
Old 01-27-2008, 08:31 PM
JamesW

Everything you wanted to know....

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/
Old 01-27-2008, 09:13 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: baddog671

Most are self adhesive, its like a sticky tar with a waxpaper backing you just peel off. I used a heatgun on anything that was hanging vertical or upside down becuase it makes it stick alot better.

If you do use a heatgun, make sure there's no airpockets (which there will be) under it or the heat will cuase the air to expand and itll swell like a ballon. I just put a big slice through the bubbles with the cutting knife to the air out and then flatten them back down with the roller..
baddog has it right on. I used the heat gun everywhere just because I felt like it, but it definitely sticks a LOT better with it, so if you plan to do it on the roof firewall or doors be sure it sticks on there good so it does fail on you later on down the road.

and definitely ROLL it on, the roller helps take out some of the air, and gets it stuck in all the little creases for better adhesion. heat gun + roller = full proof.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:21 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

David, remember that brace on my roof you didnt recognize? Well, the deadener started to fall off like 3 days later since I couldnt get the roller in there very good. I broke out the heat gun and got that stuff so hot it felt like water under the aluminum backing. Rolled what I could and used a rag to press the rest by hand, easy since it was sooo gooey. Now its on there so good I doubt I could get it off if I wanted too...

And btw, be careful if you do the top of the gastank. I wouldnt have ever believed it, but I got the deadener to spark on the tank. I guess pulling the waxpaper off that tar can build a current...it was a pretty blue spark[8D]
Old 01-27-2008, 09:23 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

Nic, well thats good to know that heat gun works so well! glad you got it on there for good. When this stuff is on, it sure is a b!tch to get off.

oh and be careful to NOT get the sound deadener stuck to itself, you will most likely not get it off... just don't rip the wax paper off so fast that it flings up and sticks to itself like it did like 3 times...

Quick Reply: sound deadening