Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Front disc worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 01:12 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Front disc worth it?

Even the crappiest econoboxes have had front disc brakes for years already. You owe it to yourself to be able to stop as quickly, as reliably, and as straight as that (at least). Other traffic won't stop to think that the original braking system on a 40 year old car might not be as good as theirs, even in perfect mechanical condition. Times have changed from only twenty years ago.

Unless this car was to remain a rarely-driven stocker or become an all-original restoration effort there aren't any good reasons for not upgrading. The 5-lug approach does, as mentioned, have the advantage of a wider selection of sizes and designs.

Norm
Old 02-01-2008, 01:42 PM
Arcticspook
2nd Gear Member

Don't question it. Go disc.

5 lug would be the way to go regardless of engine size.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:31 PM
ponyX65
1st Gear Member

+1 its a huge improvement and drum brakes have to many moving parts the more moving parts the greater chance of something breaking trust i know. last friday i was going to a local car show in my 65 the light in front of me turned red when i stepped on the brakes it held for about 2 seconds then the pedal went to the floor! i down shifted and pulled the e-brake and killed the motor i was able to stop with out no drama. what caused the failure was a spring in the left front drum broke and we all know if one goes out they ALL go out.i already bought a kiy and will be installed A.S.A.P.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:50 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Gotta go with the masses on this one.

If you only do one mod to your car, make it a disc brake swap. Once you do it you will look back on this post and laugh at yourself in wonderment.

Disc brakes and sub-frame connectors were the best modifications I have ever done to my fastback, and I have done many.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:13 PM
JBradley500
3rd Gear Member

i would go for it. I even put Rear discs on the D60 in my 79 f250 this fall....WAYY better than the drums, and thats a pick-up which had 80lbs of drum crap on the rear.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:15 PM
JBradley500
3rd Gear Member

http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...dley500/Truck/

thats the pictures of the rear....if you click "truck 2" on the left you can see what it looks like now
Old 02-01-2008, 05:31 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

the kit that Jame66Stang mentions is the kit from discbrakeswap.com
You'll find more info there and today there was a post of the cartons contents:
https://mustangforums.com/m_4548911/tm.htm

but this kit is only for 5 lug. What noone mentioned so far is that if you upgrade to 5lug in the front, you might want to do the same in the back, which means: new rear axle ....
So a 5-lug conversion might be costly.
There are a few kits around (i think I've seen one on NPD) for 4 lug wheels. but the rotors are smaller I'd say and the it is probably very expensive.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:23 PM
degins
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kalli

the kit that Jame66Stang mentions is the kit from discbrakeswap.com
You'll find more info there and today there was a post of the cartons contents:
https://mustangforums.com/m_4548911/tm.htm

but this kit is only for 5 lug. What noone mentioned so far is that if you upgrade to 5lug in the front, you might want to do the same in the back, which means: new rear axle ....
So a 5-lug conversion might be costly.
There are a few kits around (i think I've seen one on NPD) for 4 lug wheels. but the rotors are smaller I'd say and the it is probably very expensive.

I'm working on a rear 4 to 5 lug conversion disc brake kit. It wouldnot require changing the rear end, just axles (provided as part of the kit). This would only be appropriate if the user keeps the 6 cylinder engine since the 6 cylinder rear end is too light duty for a v8 engine. More later...
Dennis
Old 02-01-2008, 09:15 PM
alz
1st Gear Member

Front discs, SSBC, were the best thing I did to my 67. Switching between new cars with discs and the old Mustang, it got real scary when I would hit the brakes and it didn't seem like it was stopping fast enough. You have to remember that 95% of the cars in front of you will have discs and if you aren't quick enough on the brake pedal, they will be stopping before you. That could be a problem.

Al
Old 02-01-2008, 09:40 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

get the discs

Quick Reply: Front disc worth it?