Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Installing new carpet--any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 08:35 AM
sixtysix
2nd Gear Member

Default Installing new carpet--any tips?

Going to put new carpet in this week-I have the seat belts,sill plates and seats out...Have not taken the old carpet out yet....any tips on installing the new carpet?
looks pretty easy....I am going to have to punch holes for the 8 seat bolts and 4 seat belt bolts I am assuming (havent received the new carpet in the mail yet)...
I bought new under liner? the old stuff looks pretty good and clean
Thanks scott
Old 02-05-2008, 09:30 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Default RE: Installing new carpet--any tips?

Lay your new carpet flat out in the sun for a couple of hours to let it 'relax'. When I had my carpet out, I painted the floor pans with Ospho just for the kicks and grins.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:51 AM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

I'm not sure if the holes for the seat belts are cut or not. If not, keep your bolts installed and when you lay your new carpet in, it is easier to feel the big hump to where you need to cut the carpet. Other than that, it should be straight forward. Let us know if you ran into any "unforseen" events. Good Luck.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:59 AM
sixtysix
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the "sun" tip and to keep the seat belt bolts in for reference tip....Scott
Old 02-05-2008, 09:59 AM
connor90
4th Gear Member

carpet is really straight forward...no real tricks. just take your time and you'll be fine. It was definitely one of the biggest cosmetic improvements ive made to my car.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:12 AM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

+1 on leaving the bolts in place. You'll have a hard time getting the holes in the right place otherwise. Just feel for them, then cut a small "X" on top of the bolt head, then push it down over the bolt.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:50 PM
fast66
3rd Gear Member

For any small screws such as console or under the door scuff trims, use a solder iron to make a hole in the carpet. It will stop the threads being pulled and wound around the screw when you screw it down.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:04 PM
CrashBob
1st Gear Member

Fast66[/align][/align]OUT FREAKING STANDING idea!! Nothing worse than pulling a "run" in new carpeting when trying to drill a hole or installing screws. [/align][/align]CrashBob[/align][/align][/align] [/align]
Old 02-05-2008, 03:07 PM
stangimgood
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fast66

For any small screws such as console or under the door scuff trims, use a solder iron to make a hole in the carpet. It will stop the threads being pulled and wound around the screw when you screw it down.
that is a priceless tip....i did the same thing a year ago when i installed ours...also make note of where the carpet ends under the seat(our is a 64.5) and where the heal pad is located...i have seen a job where the gas pedal would catch the corner of the heal padunder full pedal take-off
Old 02-05-2008, 05:40 PM
ninteen66mustang
3rd Gear Member

Make sure the carpet is nice and warm before you try to work with it. Yes, it is form fitted, but it will not be perfect. I did mine in the winter so I put a space heater (read: fire hazard) inside the car, and when I needed to work with a specific spot, I blasted it with a hairdryer for a while.

Also, dont cut corners and get lazy. I was ready to just do a half job and cut some corners cuz it didnt want to fit right, but it is definitely one of the best looking things about the interior so I am glad my dad made me do it right. lol. make sure to have something good and sharp to cut the excess off with.

Also, be sure it is in the right spot everywhere and you dont have anything that you would change before you cut any holes in it or cut off all the edges.

Quick Reply: Installing new carpet--any tips?