Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

How much do I need to worry about rust?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 12:26 PM
r6allstar
1st Gear Member

Default How much do I need to worry about rust?

I have read quite a few posts lately about rust and corrosion protection. My car doesnt see bad weather (snow salt etc) so how much do I need to worry about my car rusting? There isnt any on it now but should I worry about it if it isnt seeing the bad weather? I guess rain will still do the same?
Old 02-05-2008, 12:31 PM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

Default RE: How much do I need to worry about rust?

If your car is original, by that I mean the undercarriage, cowl, etc. has never been looked at, or the car has never been "restored", then there's a chance you have rust somewhere. Not saying that you do, but these cars where never treated for rust protection at the factory. Just bare metal put together a fast as possible and shipped out. It wasn't unitl later, Ford began to rust protect their vehicles. Not sure what year that was though. You might want to consider doing some preventive rust protection in the near future.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:51 PM
r6allstar
1st Gear Member

The car has been restored.. about 15 years ago but had been in storage since then. You are probably right though, I am guessing there is rust somewhere on the car but I dont know where lol. The part I am worried about is the cowl.. seems like the mostlikely spot to be affected.. how do I get some kind of preventative protection in there?
Old 02-05-2008, 12:58 PM
silverblue66
2nd Gear Member

on a different note how long does it take surface rust to become rot on a california car. im not talking garaged in a climate controlled room, but in real life on a driveway under a cover. ya kno real life situations for most of us. i live in an apartment and dont have the luxury of a garage or pulling my car apart to POR-15 the underside.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:44 PM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

It's not an easy job taking apart the cowl. It is one the major jobs a lot of these Mustangs will eventually have to go through, if not already. Mustang Monthly did a article on how to replace a cowl. You can check it however, by pouring water down it and see if any ends up inside the car. This is not a happy point, checking to see if there is a leaky cowl. You would probably already notice if your carpet was ever wet or damp in the past. There are common areas that will rust, but many of those areas require dismantling of the car to check and see. Floor pans, cowl, frame rails, etc. Just by looking, there is no way to determine if you have rust or not.